Trafalgar Colliery (General)

by rodders @, Monday, May 11, 2020, 18:09 (130 days ago)

Hi

I am researching the history of Trafalgar Colliery, and was hoping that anyone could pass on any information they may have on relatives who worked at the colliery (I know that is a big ask as the colliery has been closed for nearly 100 years), and their experiences, such as a diary entry, newspaper cutting, letter or a story that was passed down through the family. I am also interested in photographs of anything that may have come from the colliery.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Trafalgar Colliery

by jchardy @, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 21:20 (72 days ago) @ rodders

My great grandfather, James Collins (1821-70) was killed in the Trafalgar Colliery on 2 June 1870. The inquest, which was held a few days later at the Crown Inn in Lydbrook, concluded that he was “crushed by the buffer of a coal tram which accidentally ran back on an incline plane in the Trafalgar Colliery and knocked the deceased down.”

Trafalgar Colliery

by helenmb @, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 14:50 (55 days ago) @ jchardy

Hi

I have just noticed your post. I believe we must be related. James Collins (1820-1870) who was killed in an accident at Trafalgar Colliery was my 2nd great grandfather. I believe he had a son, also called James (1853-1868) who was killed in an accident at Trafalgar Colliery. According to Coal Mining Accidents and Deaths index he concealed some gun powder and it exploded in his pocket, burning him so severely that he died the next day.

Trafalgar Colliery

by helenmb @, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 14:59 (55 days ago) @ rodders

Hi

Thank you for your email. I have just noticed jchardy's reply to your post. The James Collins mentioned there is my 2nd great grandfather. He had a son also called James (1853-1868), who had an accident at Trafalgar Colliery. According to Coal Mining Accidents and Deaths index he concealed some gun powder and it exploded in his pocket, burning him so severely that he died the next day.
Regarding the photograph, I am not sure how to send a photo via this forum. If you let me have your email address I will send it that way.

RSS Feed of thread