George Robinson b:1826 Taynton (General)

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 15:59 (1381 days ago)

Would anyone be able to help with any of the following.

My ancestor, George Robinson, was born, according to census records between 1826 and 1831, probably in Taynton but also listed as Longhope or Mitcheldean. He married Hannah Drew in 1856 and the certificate shows his father as Thomas Robinson.

A baptism record for 1826 has George Robertson (note name difference) being baptised at Taynton with parents of Thomas and Amy Robertson. Looking for other baptisms I find Selina Robertson baptised in 1823 at Taynton with the same parents.

Further research of Selina produces a marriage to William Price in 1860 at St John's Cinderford. Her name is recorded as Robinson, her father is Thomas Robinson and one of the witnesses is Hannah Robinson. The marriage record also records her age which coincides with a birth of 1823.

So far, everything fits except the name change from Robertson to Robinson which I can't explain.

Another baptism of a possible sibling is of Henry in 1831 at Longhope. Parents are Thomas and Amy Robinson.

And another possible sibling is William Robinson born 1818 at Abinghall. In the 1871 census he is living in Abinghall and has his mother, Amy, living with him. She is shown as born in Taynton so appears to be a match.

I've been unable to find any marriage records for Thomas and Amy either as Robertson or Robinson or any other information about Thomas. There is a baptism record for an Amy Wilkins at Taynton in 1797, which coincides with Amy's age shown on the 1871 census so I believe that's her but without a marriage to Thomas I can't prove anything.

Another problem I have is further census records for William showing him born in Thornbury and his wife, Ann, being born in Ampney Crucis and, again, the name Robertson/Robinson. In the 1861 census he is living with his father-in-law who's name appears to be Barnes or Harmes so that would make William's wife Ann Barnes/Harmes but I can find no marriage record that matches.

I should add that I've asked this before at https://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=47826 but, overall, I didn't get any further with it. But I have a few bits of additional info that I've added here that might help.

--
Peter

George Robinson b:1826 Taynton

by richards @, Friday, June 19, 2020, 19:28 (1378 days ago) @ probinson

I have sent an email,
In the census for William Robinson b 1818 of Abenhall, his birthplace is given as Thornbury, he married Ann Ravenhill 03 Jun 1840 Abenhall

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, June 19, 2020, 21:48 (1378 days ago) @ richards

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response. I have read your emails.

I don't believe William's wife was Ann Ravenhill. There are several trees on Ancestry that have that fact but none give absolute proof. William Robinson/Robertson is a common name and I think it is another that married Ann Ravenhill.

In the 1861 census, William is recorded as being the son-in-law of Thomas Barnes (or Harmes) so that suggests his wife is Ann Barnes not Ann Ravenhill - unless, of course, she married twice.

Having said that, there's a lot of conflicting evidence and facts that don't tie up and I'm not absolutely sure William is a sibling of George. So William could be a red herring.

There are baptism records for George and Selina at Taynton and George's wife being a witness at Selina's wedding I think confirms these are true siblings. William, Henry and others, I don't think, are confirmed siblings and they could be from a totally different family - and that's where the confusion is happening.

Thanks for your interest. Maybe we are related in some way.

--
Peter

by richards @, Friday, June 19, 2020, 22:47 (1377 days ago) @ probinson

I noticed that one of the witnesses to William Robinson and Ann Ravenhill's marriage was Sarah Barnes? Confusing?

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Saturday, June 20, 2020, 10:43 (1377 days ago) @ richards

Yes, it certainly is.

Maybe some investigation of the Barnes family might help. It's another avenue to follow anyway.

--
Peter

RSS Feed of thread