Harold Alfred BARNARD (General)

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Sunday, June 28, 2020, 14:00 (1370 days ago)

hi everyone

I wondered if anyone could help. I'm looking for information about Harold Alfred BARNARD born and baptised in 1906 in Cinderford.
I know that he married Nellie WINTER in 1933..... and he died in 1944. he was a Chemist & Druggist in Coleford in 1939. but apart from knowing his parentage and siblings I know little else about him.
I wondered how/why the son of a miner became a Chemist. how the opportunity arose etc.

Harold is part of my partner's paternal family and we'd both love to know more. my partner's mother told me that he and Nellie had a son Dennis but she didn't know what happened to any of them.

thanks in advance everyone

Harold Alfred BARNARD

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, June 28, 2020, 15:26 (1370 days ago) @ macast

Harold A BARNARD - married Nellie WINTER - December 1933 - Battersea District (Civil Wedding) - so no marriage certificate on Ancestry.

------

They are on the London, England, Electoral Register 1936

Lambeth, Brixton and Kennington

290 Brixton Road

BARNARD, Harold Alfred
BARNARD, Nellie

Also listed at 290 Brixton Road, is Ethel Mabel & Frederick Venables - (abode: 28 Wildcroft Manor, Putney Heath. S.W.15)

On Ancestry: Marriage at Putney, - 30 September 1909

Frederick VENABLES, aged 24, bachelor, CHEMIST - of 14 Merton Road, Wandsworth
Ethel Mabel POCOCK

---

Also in 1934 - Lambeth, Brixton and Kennington : Harold Alfred and Nellie - are at the above address - along with Frederick & Hester VENABLES, - whose abode is given as 54 Chartfield Ave. Putney SW 15

----

There is a Public Members Tree on Ancestry - Frederick VENABLES - left the UK - 8 April 1939, on the Aquitania, Destinatin New York, and returned back - 15 May 1939, Southampton. He died, l26 June 1942, Putney, London.

----

Their son.... Dennis A BARNARD - was living in Lydney - Electoral Register

Harold Alfred BARNARD

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, June 28, 2020, 15:40 (1370 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

The Passenger List for the Aquitania is on Ancestry

April 14, 1939

VENABLES - Frederick aged 53 - Pharmacist
Ethel M - 58 - Housewife
Dorothy Y M - 17 Student

Harold Alfred BARNARD

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Sunday, June 28, 2020, 17:11 (1370 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

thank you

I did find Harold and Nellie in Brixton Road in 1934 with Frederick and Ethel Venables visiting. but didn't see the 1936 one... and didn't realise that Frederick Venables was a Chemist. so thank you for that bit of information.

I've discovered that Frederick was much older than Harold.... so perhaps Harold worked for Frederick or had been apprentice to him??

I looked up the other pieces of information you pointed me to. and again thank you.

why would a young man leave home in Cinderford and go to London in the 1930s? would that be to study? or was he just an adventurous young man?

RSS Feed of thread