Alexander Hopson & Lydia Morgan (General)

by sherriebaby63 @, Friday, July 10, 2020, 18:00 (1376 days ago)

Hi am trying to find where my grandparents were married, the record just states Westbury, they were married in Sept 1927, think it may have been a registry office wedding, was there just the office in Lydney at that time? I know the only sure way of finding out is to order their marriage certificate but was trying to avoid the expense, anyone out there that can help me?
Regards
Sherrie Ellis

Alexander Hopson & Lydia Morgan

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, July 10, 2020, 18:30 (1376 days ago) @ sherriebaby63

If you Google

GloucestershireBMD

Alexander HOPSON and Lydia MORGAN - Sept 1927, Forest of Dean, Westbury on Severn, Register Office

Register: 20

Entry : 104

by cmfenton @, Ferndown, Dorset, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 09:16 (1374 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

The confusing issue of these register entries is that if the wedding took place in one of the local chapels in the presence of a registrar as well as the local minister (as was the case for my parents) then the entry may be as shown in the Gloucestershire BMD record.

In my case, the original certificate is much more informative but I don't know whether a copy from the GRO would show the extra detail.

Regards
-Colin

by mcowan @, Friday, July 10, 2020, 19:07 (1376 days ago) @ sherriebaby63

Search on the forum for registry offices in the FOD, the conversation will explain that WOS registry office was by the old workhouse on the High Street now demolished.

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 17:58 (1374 days ago) @ sherriebaby63

What information are you looking for?

The Marriage Certificate would give ages, address and occupation ..... name of father and their occupation, witnesses etc.

There is a Public Members Tree on Ancestry for Alexander HOPSON - born 7th November 1907, (as the 1939 census says) - and Lydia - 29 March 1907

Alick HOPSON is on the 1911 census, along with his father Frederick Paul HOPSON (photo of Frederick on the Public Members Tree)

RSS Feed of thread