CAN YOU HELP WITH THE FORUM? (Announce)

by admin2 @, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 16:54 (1310 days ago)

Hi all

I have posted on other threads that we have secured the future of the website, including the forum. There will be a formal announcement shortly of how this is planned to work.

Meanwhile as part of creating new support we want to ensure that there is broader base of people involved for a variety of obvious reasons including: spreading the load so that individuals are not required to be involved 24/7; and being more resilient when people find they cannot devote their time to the task.

You will therefore see why the subject is "Can you help?". A number of people were kind enough to say how much they valued the Forum and the information on the website. Now is the chance to translate that into some practical support and the first task is to identify some additional "moderators" for the Forum.

To make the Forum a good place for discussion we need to do three things at least:

• Stop spam: once an odd message arrives - usually with a link in to a dodgy website - it needs deleting as quickly as possible and the account from which it has come needs to be locked. A lot of this happens automatically but some spam needs to be dealt with manually. There are some other ways to prevent repeated spamming but these will be done by the technical webmasters.
  • Help people keep to the rules: there are a few points - eg not posting direct email addresses or personal information for living people - where posters need occasional gentle reminders about the right approach and maybe how to amend their posting.
  • Give posters useful pointers: although we hope the website is easy to use there are occasions where we can help people get maximum benefit by pointing them to resources or helping them to use the search.

All of that makes it easier for people to engage in the wider discussions about finding ancestors and links to places.

None of this is very onerous but it would be better if 4 or 5 people were keeping an eye on things.

If you would like to help please either post here or email admin2 directly (click on the link next to the name in the header).

Many thanks

Paul

--
Admin 2

CAN YOU HELP WITH THE FORUM?

by Suzie @, Forest of Dean, Sunday, October 11, 2020, 01:03 (1286 days ago) @ admin2

Hi, I have recently joined, but if there is anyway that I can help, I’m willing to lend a hand. . I don’t profess to being overly ‘techy’ but I can spot a problem as a rule.
Please message me back if you would like added help or even just as a reserve.

Kind regards

Suzie

by admin2 @, Sunday, October 11, 2020, 13:56 (1285 days ago) @ Suzie

Hi Suzie

Welcome to the Forum and that is a very kind offer.

Can you enable "use your email for contact" on your profile and I will be in touch about how you might help.

Or just email me drectly if that is easier

Regards

Paul

--
Admin 2

by Suzie @, Forest of Dean, Sunday, October 11, 2020, 21:08 (1285 days ago) @ admin2

Hi Paul, email enabled

by pj_dorrington @, Hampshire, UK, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 14:17 (1265 days ago) @ admin2

Hi Paul,

I have been absent from the site for a while but am back to doing the family history again. Reasonably techy (worked in IT for around 30 years) and am happy to help where I can. Normally I would be silly busy as a Scout leader and working full time but the pandemic seems to have freed up some of my spare time now ;-)

Let me know if you are still after some assistance.

Regards

Peter

by admin2 @, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 15:12 (1265 days ago) @ pj_dorrington

Hi Peter

Thanks: that's a kind offer. Things are ticking along at the moment as I am diverted onto other tasks. But I will be rounding up the various offers shortly and asking people to do a few things.

Regards

Paul

--
Admin 2

RSS Feed of thread