Family Names Green & Lane Drybrook 1900's (General)

by akirk, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 12:58 (1192 days ago)

Hello, Looking for any information on my Grandads family, Walter Green & Lane they live in Harrow ( Harry ) Hill, Drybrook late 1890's. I'm visiting the area in the summer this year & would like to see where my family lived. What is the name of the road now ?
Many Thanks
Angela Kirk.

Family Names Green & Lane Drybrook 1900's

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 14:28 (1192 days ago) @ akirk

Your family are still there on the 1911 census - listed as Harrow Hill Glos.

On the 1901 census, Drybrook, Harry Hill starts on page 6 and finishes on page 29 - your family are on page 21

The Enumerator's Notes in 1901

'That part of ,,,,, Dean Civil Parish, bounded on the North by the centre of the Road from Drybrook to Mitcheldean on the East by the Parish of Abbenhall. And Mitcheldean on the South by the centre of the road from Micheldean to Coleford on the West by the Centre of the road from Cinderford to Ruardean with the addition of the detached parts of Newland Civil Parish.

Harry Hill Holy Trinity Church, Rekotsh ? Congregational Chapel,. That part of Drybrook on the right hand side of the road from Minchins Shop to Stendon. That part of Nailbridge on the north side of the road between Minchins Shop and the Railway Inn.

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 14:43 (1192 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Looking at the 1911 Summary Book on Ancestry

Mr Green
Mr Boseley
Nr Nicholls
Mrs Stephens
Mr Morris
Mr Thomas

and the

Loqnieis ? Farms - Boughton
ditto : 2 barns
ditto: 2 Stables
Lognieio - Private House - Mr Phillips

So a few doors away from Mr Green - is

Abraham BOUGHTON (wife Ada) - at Loquiers Farm, Harry Hill, (7 seven rooms) Farmer, and Collier Hewer, the six younger children

all born Harry Hill

There is a previous thread on Loquiers Farm

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 15:33 (1192 days ago) @ akirk

I think the road you want is called Dean's Walk. The post code is GL17 9JU.

But to make sure I'm looking at the correct family. I searched for Walter Green living in Harry Hill. I only found one. Born 1899. Father Alfred, mother Emma. Is that the correct family?

Assuming it is:

It looks like the house is no longer there. There's a lot of more recent building in the area.

You can find the exact location from the 1910 land survey site.

The entry is at https://www.glos1909survey.org.uk/code/data.php?id=34418

You can see the hereditament number is 923. 923 on the map can be seen at https://www.glos1909survey.org.uk/maps/Box31/D2428-3-31-03.jpg. It's almost dead centre. You'll have to zoom in to read the number.

This is the street view of the house currently on that spot https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8523533,-2.5114573,3a,75y,90.95h,92.52t/data=!3m7!1e1...

--
Peter

by akirk, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 17:14 (1192 days ago) @ probinson

Hi Peter, Wow that is great information its the best info I've had, the Walter Green in the Census is my Grandads cousin. Do you know where May Hill is ? Another part of the Green family lived around the same time.
Many Thanks for your help
Angela Kirk

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 17:35 (1192 days ago) @ akirk

Could you post more of what you have already. When was your Grandad on harry Hill? In what census? What is the 'Lane' connection?

Here's a link to May Hill on the map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/May+Hill/@51.8896814,-2.4476547,14.5z/data=!4m5!3m4...

--
Peter

by akirk, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 19:12 (1192 days ago) @ probinson

Hi Just received some more info, so the people that brought my Grandad up were called Charlie & Sarah Anne Lane, when Sarah Anne died Charlie married the neighbour call Nelly she was a widow and had twin girls Evelyn and Myra they lived at Lark Rise Harrow Hill & Then Evelyn married Ron Williams they lived at Rose Cottage Harrow Hill, I would love to find out if these two houses are still there if not where they would have been. My Grandad Walter Lane was born 9/10/1911
Many Thanks for your help.
Angela Kirk.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Monday, January 18, 2021, 17:00 (1191 days ago) @ akirk

It seems both still exist...

Rose Cottage, Bridge Road, Harrow Hill, Drybrook GL17 9JT

Larkrise, Mount Close, Harrow Hill, Drybrook GL17 9LB

Rose cottage is an old building so could be the one.

Can't see Larkrise on Google so could be original or a later one. There are some cottages in the same location on a map of the period so could be the one.

--
Peter

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Monday, January 18, 2021, 17:12 (1191 days ago) @ probinson

Larkrise is a 3 bed detached. Looks like a new build. But it's next door to the cottages that were there at the time so may have taken the name from them.

--
Peter

by HarryBrook @, Saturday, January 23, 2021, 12:51 (1186 days ago) @ probinson

There is a Rose Cottage next to Larkrise in Mount Close, Harrow Hill. It was the home of Ron and Evelyn Williams. If this link works (google street view in Dean's Walk, Harrow Hill) the end of Rose Cottage can be seen immediately behind the electricity supply pole with the transformer mounted on it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8506339,-2.5146695,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1...

by HarryBrook @, Saturday, January 23, 2021, 12:56 (1186 days ago) @ HarryBrook

The link does not appear to work, so go to google street view and start going up Dean's Walk from the junction with Trinity Road and just before the first property on the right hand side of the road rotate the image to the right and the electricity pole and the end of the house should be obvious - I hope.

by HarryBrook @, Saturday, January 23, 2021, 13:43 (1186 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Some more instructions on using google street view for another view of Rose Cottage and Lark Rise. Enlarge the basic street map to locate the junction of Dean's Walk and Trinity Road. Starting from this point, rotate the image clockwise and proceed along Trinity Road, there is a boy walking on the left hand side of the road. After passing the boy (there is also a car coming in the opposite direction) rotate the image anticlockwise across a field containing some sheep. Rose cottage is seen to the left, the original cottage has been extended, the extension being painted light cream. There is also a blue car parked in front of it and some wooden sheds. To the right of Rose Cottage can be seen a small bungalow - this is Lark Rise.

by akirk, Saturday, January 23, 2021, 21:31 (1185 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Hi Harry, Thank you so much these are the houses I've been looking for, When i was a child we stayed at Rose Cottage with Ron & Evelyn, They are not blood relatives but we always thought of them as family. Do you live in Drybrook ?
Many Thanks again.
Angela Kirk.

by HarryBrook @, Sunday, January 24, 2021, 14:35 (1185 days ago) @ akirk

Angela, Yes I live on Harrow Hill so know it quite well! I remember Ron and Evelyn Williams and their son Phillip [Leslie]born 1948. Don't know where he is now.

Evelyn and Myra were twin sisters born 1 February 1922, Evelyn was Edith Evelyn and their maiden surname was Briscoe, so daughters of Ellen or Nelly Lane and step daughters of Charlie.
Edith Evelyn married Leslie Ronald Williams (born 19 September 1914, died 13 September 1993). Edith Evelyn Williams (formerly Briscoe) died in July 1999. They do not have a recorded grave memorial at the local Holy Trinity Churchyard so I guess they were cremated at Gloucester.

I vaguely remember Walter Green of Harrow Hill. His nickname was "Lawyer" Green. He died in 1969 and for a very long time his cottage was left abandoned and derelict. It was eventually sold as a building plot. This is where it was using google street view again. Start from the junction of Trinity Road and Dean's Walk. Go up Dean's Walk (the camera car passes two people walking a dog and then a grey van blocking the road). Continue until there are no more properties on the left of the road (views of Drybrook village on the left) and the road turns to the right uphill. In front of you is a house with three dormer windows. This is called Hillside Cottage and this was the site of the cottage lived in by Walter Green and, I believe, earlier by his parents Alfred Noah and Emma Green.

by akirk, Wednesday, February 03, 2021, 21:22 (1174 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Hi Harry,
Thank you so much for this information, Do you remember Charlie Lane & his first wife Sarah Anne (was Green) also their 2 daughters i understand one died very young the other Kathleen died when she was a teenager. My Grandad Walter was brought up by Charlie & Sarah Anne and was called Walter Lane until he went to work in the local coal mine then he had to use his birth name Walter Green, Sarah Anne was his cousin. His best friend at school was Frank Pritchard. Do you know where i can find where the coal mine was he would of work there around 1925.
Also do you know where i can see old photo s of Harrow Hill.
Many Thanks
Angie Kirk.

by HarryBrook @, Sunday, February 07, 2021, 12:56 (1171 days ago) @ akirk

Angela, I have no recollection of Charlie and Sarah Anne Lane or their daughters; before my time. I vaguely remember Walter Green.

I knew Frank Pritchard. He later had a coal merchants business at China Court, Morse Road, Drybrook; it is still run by his grandson, Ian. Frank died in 1974. He, and his three sons, Derek, Des, and Terry also ran a haulage business, mainly transporting stone from Drybrook Quarry (now closed).

I know from a conversation with one of Frank's sons that he worked at Harrow Hill Colliery which I believe closed in 1925, so Walter Green could have worked with him there, after that I would not know and there are no available records to my knowledge.

There are some views of the colliery and Harrow Hill on this website
http://www.archive-images.co.uk/gallery/Archive-Images-of-the-Forest-of-Dean-Coalfield/...

There is a photo of what is now Larksfield Road, Harrow Hill in the photo gallery on this site. You could also have a browse for Drybrook in photographs and postcards on ebay. Other than that images appear to be in books.

by HarryBrook @, Sunday, February 07, 2021, 14:47 (1171 days ago) @ akirk

Angela, Looking into this a bit more I can understand why I have no recollection of Charlie Lane's first wife and two daughters. My interpretation of BMD records is that Charles Howard Lane married Sarah Ann Green in 1906. They had two daughters, Winifred who was born in 1907 and died at Gloucester in 1929, buried at Holy Trinity Church, Drybrook on 10 December 1929, age given as 22 years and Kathleen Evelyn born quarter 3 of 1921 burial at Holy Trinity Church, Drybrook on 10 January 1926, age given as 4 years. Sarah Ann Lane, born about 1883, burial at Holy Trinity Church, Drybrook on 4 December 1930. There are no recorded memorial inscriptions for any of them.

RSS Feed of thread