Elizabeth Davis. Whereabouts after her 1861 wedding (General)

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 21:12 (1161 days ago)

Elizabeth Davis was baptised on 16.9.1834 in Pauntley, the daughter of George Davis and Ann (nee Sparrow). She was the sixth of seven children for George and Ann.

Elizabeth is with her parents and siblings on the 1841 and 1851 census. On the 1861 census she is still with her parents aged 27 together with two grandchildren; William aged 6 and Ann aged 5 (her children presumably).

According to Forest of Dean records, an Elizabeth Davis married Robert Rudle on 20.10.1861 in Upleadon. This appears to be my Elizabeth as the two witnesses are Arthur and Anne Burrup, Elizabeth’s elder sister and her brother-in-law.

Where has she gone after her marriage? The Rudle name could be misspelt or mis-pronounced in many ways, but I can find no trace of Elizabeth, Robert or the two children after the wedding, either on the records here or on Findmypast.

Any help is appreciated.
Mike

Elizabeth Davis. Whereabouts after her 1861 wedding

by shepway @, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 23:41 (1161 days ago) @ mikedavies

A check of the Marriages Index tells us that RUDLE should read RUDGE although looking at the image of the marriage on Ancestry one can understand why there is an error in the transcription.
The family can be found in Newent in the 1871 Census:
Household schedule number Given Name Surname Relationship Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth Place
132 Robert Rudge Head 45 1826 Male Bromsberrow Gloucestershire England
132 Elizabeth Rudge Wife 37 1834 Female Upleadon Gloucestershire England
132 Anne Rudge Daughter 12 1859 Female Upleadon Gloucestershire England
132 Charles Rudge Son 9 1862 Male Newent Gloucestershire England
132 Frederick Rudge Son 7 1864 Male Newent Gloucestershire England
132 Fanny Rudge Daughter 5 1866 Female Newent Gloucestershire England
132 Andrew Rudge Son 2 1869 Male Newent Gloucestershire England
132 Arthur Rudge Son 3 1868 Male Newent Gloucestershire England

Mike

by shepway @, Friday, January 22, 2021, 08:07 (1161 days ago) @ mikedavies

Here are further Census entries together with Burial details for Rpbert and Elizabeth:

1881 Census
Ross-on-Wye
Address Given Name Surname Relationship to Head Marital Status Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Occupation Birth City Birth County Birth Country
Clarks Entry Robert Rudge Head Married 54 1827 Male Ag Lab Dymock Gloucestershire England
Clarks Entry Elizabeth Rudge Wife Married 47 1834 Female Pauntley Gloucestershire England
Clarks Entry Henry C. Rudge Son 19 1862 Male Ag Lab Newent Gloucestershire England
Clarks Entry Frederick J. Rudge Son 17 1864 Male Ag Lab Newent Gloucestershire England
Clarks Entry Arthur Rudge Son 10 1871 Male Scholar Newent Gloucestershire England
Clarks Entry Albert Rudge Son 7 1874 Male Scholar Newent Gloucestershire England

1891 Census:
Ross-on-Wye
Name Relationship Gender Age Birth Year Birth Place Civil parish Ecclesiastical parish Residence Place Registration district Sub registration district ED, Institution or Vessel Piece Folio
Robert Rudge Head Male 67 1824 Dymock, Gloucestershire, England Ross Ross Ross, Ross, Herefordshire, England Ross Ross 4 2055 62
Elizabeth Rudge Wife Female 58 1833 Pauntley, Gloucestershire, England Ross Ross Ross, Ross, Herefordshire, England Ross Ross 4 2055 62
Frederick Jas Rudge Son Male 26 1865 Newent, Gloucestershire, England Ross Ross Ross, Ross, Herefordshire, England Ross Ross

1901 Census:
9 Nursery, Ross on Wye
Household Number Name Relation to Head Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth Place
17 Robert Rudge Head 77 1824 Male Dymock, Gloucestershire, England
17 Frederick Rudge Son 38 1863 Male Newent, Gloucestershire, England

Year: 1901
Month: Jan
Day: 16
Surname: RUDGE
Forenames: Elizabeth
Residence: 9 Nursery
Age_at_death: 66
Officiating_Minister: Fred W Worsey Curate
Event: Burial
Register_Reference: BW14/20
Page_No: 124
Parish_Chapel: Ross on Wye

Year: 1903
Month: Jan
Day: 12
Surname: RUDGE
Forenames: Robert
Residence: 9 Nursery
Age_at_death: 76
Officiating_Minister: E M Meyler Curate
Event: Burial
Register_Reference: BW14/20
Page_No: 140
Parish_Chapel: Ross on Wye

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Friday, January 22, 2021, 12:15 (1161 days ago) @ shepway

Hi Mike,

Great work, thanks a lot. That's cleared one little query up. I don't know why I keep searching when I can just ask the questions and get the answers on here!

It is Elizabeth's younger brother who I'm really interested in (Paul or William Paul Davis b. 1838). He's my Gt Gt Grandfather and I've tracked all the information for him other than why and how he ended up in Ross from Pauntley?

He met Elizabeth Price a local Ross girl as they married in Ross in 1860 and are there on the 1861 census. What I don't know obviously is how they met, and Ross is 10-11 miles away from Pauntley. He was an agricultural labourer, so did he move there independently for industrial work opportunities prior to 1860?

He succeeded if that was the case because in future census's he is an engine driver at a tannery and then a stationary engine driver at Ross Waterworks pumping station based at Alton Court.

I can only presume that Elizabeth (and Robert) Rudge heard good reports about Ross from her younger brother, and that is why they moved there between 1871 and 1881.

Mike

RSS Feed of thread