Researching FOD Descendants in Queensland Australia. (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Thursday, February 18, 2021, 20:55 (1134 days ago)

Hi

If any member has a need to research Queensland Australia, there are free sites which i have found very useful in tracking the movement of my ancestors within this State.
A brief description is listed below. If someone is interested, reply and i will give more detailed guidance. A generalised area and time frame helps to narrow the location.

(a) The National Library of Australia runs the "Trove" historical newspaper site which covers all of Australia and includes Government Gazettes.
(b) The Queensland Government has a site for Historical BDM records (subject for date cutoffs to restrict access to living people). From these you can find the date, other family members and whether the persons record was for the Capital (Brisbane) or Country Queensland. A scanned copy of the record then costs around AU$23.
(c) The Queensland Archives has put more and more of the Queensland State Government Schools Pupil Admission Registers on line.
Both Primary and Secondary Schools.
In the 19th & 20th Centuries i believe most children went to State Government Schools. From these records can be found:-
The date a person started school .
Their Age,
Guardians name
Address at the time of entering the school system.
Which class started.
a record of each class in subsequent years.
When they left the school
Whether they returned to the School.
It does help to have a rough idea of the Geography of Queensland although it is not impossible. (This is where i could help to narrow the search down for the relative school).
Then, the State Library of Queensland has a comprehensive range of information and images on line which often throw up good finds.
Also "Bonzle" is another site for photographs which have been user provided.

For anyone interested, good hunting.

Sid Toomey
Brisbane.

RSS Feed of thread