Ann James 1790 Gloucestershire (General)

by CarrieBEE, Wednesday, August 04, 2021, 20:01 (967 days ago)

I'm researching the James family from Gloucestershire which is my paternal grandmother's line.

Warren James married Ann Kear and they had a daughter called Ann born in 1790 in Newlands I believe. I'm having trouble finding a marriage record for her to verify who she married.

Some records say Thomas Watkins and others say Richard Hatton. Also there are conflicting dates for her birth as some Ancestry trees have her birth date as 1788. I have seen a birth record which verifies 1790 though.

Are the dates for the marriage too far back to be able to see more details rather than the sparse record currently available on Ancestry or other sites? Where could I start to look to see if there are? I have found the banns but that doesn't give the parents names.

Any assistance appreciated.

Ann James 1790 Gloucestershire

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, August 04, 2021, 21:08 (967 days ago) @ CarrieBEE

For Starters......Using the records on this site.

If you type in surname: JAMES

father's name Warren
mother's name : Ann -

Parish: Newland

there is briefly (open up the record to full details)

1778 - Richard (mother's name on this occasion spelt Ann)

1785 - John - (ditto)

1788 - Hannah - (mother's name spelt Anne)

1790 - ANNE - (mother's maiden name spelt Anne) **

1794 - Enoch - (ditto)

1797 - Sarah - (ditto)

1800 - Isaac - (ditto)

*** Record ID: 391649

7 February 1790

Anne JAMES - parents: Warren & Anne

residence: Breem

Parish Chapel: Newland

---

The marriage of Ann JAMES to Thomas WATKINS or Richard HATTON - ? will have to find the marriages .... and who were the witnesses etc.

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, August 04, 2021, 21:22 (967 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

There is also a Son :

baptised at Newland - 17 Sept 1780

named: William

(the father's name is is spelt WARON) - mother's name Ann

by CarrieBEE, Wednesday, August 04, 2021, 21:28 (967 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you so much for this. I’m leaning towards the Richard Hatton marriage.

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Wednesday, August 04, 2021, 23:00 (967 days ago) @ CarrieBEE

I don't know whether this will help but on the Parish Records part of this site there was a marriage on 15th April 1811 in Newland where an Anne James married William Davis.
Witnesses were Thos Ellway and Thos Bond.

Sid Toomey

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Friday, August 06, 2021, 00:00 (966 days ago) @ CarrieBEE

Hi

To help me understand your search better, could you advise whether you have been able to confirm the marriage of Warren James (Ann's father) as being part of your Ancestors Tree ?
Also from the 1841 and 1851 Census, have you been able to confirm where your Ancestors were living ? If so, in the 1851 Census, where did your Ancestors give as their place of birth ? and what was the male's occupation ?

My reason for asking is to do with the marriage of Anne James to Richard Hatton in 1812 and whether to discount it as a possibility.
Witnesses at this marriage were Mary James and William James.
There was a Anne James baptised in Breem in 1790 whose parents were Warron and Ann James. This Anne had two older siblings named William and Mary who could have been the witnesses at the Richard Hatton Marriage.

Breem is four miles from Newland.

There was also a Ann James baptised in Newland in 1790 whose Parents were Warren and Anne James.

I think would be easy to mix members of both of these James family's in to one.

It would be handy to be able to discount or confirm Breem as being a possible location for some of your Ancestors.

Sid Toomey

RSS Feed of thread