Eliza Beddis b 1861 (Parish Records)

by tanglewood, Friday, November 05, 2021, 15:33 (875 days ago)

Living in Hampshire, I’ve limited knowledge of the FoD. I’m researching the BEDDIS family from East Dean and am stuck on Eliza BEDDIS, daughter of John and Sarah (nee Davis). She appears in the 1861 census (3 months) but then disappears. The FoD site has a burial for Elizabeth BEDDIS on 5 Dec 1869 at Viney Hill. Her address is given as Woodside and, whilst apparently the same person, I’ve yet to have any link to Woodside. So far the family’s lived at East Dean and predominately New Road. Could someone local confirm that my assumption makes sense please? Regards Tony

Eliza Beddis b 1861

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, November 05, 2021, 16:56 (875 days ago) @ tanglewood

The burial you mentioned has the age as 'infant' which usually means less than a year old where as your Eliza would have been eight so I'm not sure that's her.

--
Peter

Eliza Beddis b 1861

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, November 05, 2021, 16:59 (875 days ago) @ probinson

There was an Elizabeth Beddis born in 1869 which I would guess is the burial you have.

--
Peter

Eliza Beddis b 1861

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, November 05, 2021, 20:50 (874 days ago) @ probinson

Would need the marriage certificate to confirm but I believe Eliza was married to William A Ryland in 1882 at Stroud. She died in 1925. The census records show she was born 1861 in Blakeney and there's only one such birth recorded.

I also noted the 1911 census shows Sarah had 7 children of whom 6 were still alive. I can only find six, including Eliza, so I assume there was another who died young. If Eliza had died young, there should be records of another child.

--
Peter

Eliza Beddis b 1861

by tanglewood, Friday, November 05, 2021, 22:11 (874 days ago) @ probinson

Hi Peter. Thank for your replies. It looks as if I've got suckered into assuming a straight-forward answer and not investigating a bit deeper. Picking up on your thoughts I've realised that Eliza wasn't with the family in 1871 or 1881. The census shows her as 'niece' at another address in New Road in 1871 and as a servant in Painswick in 1881. I'll follow this through and also see if Elizabeth (1869) fits into the family elsewhere. Thanks for your time. Take care. TG

Eliza Beddis b 1861

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, November 05, 2021, 22:30 (874 days ago) @ tanglewood

That's good you found her in Painswick. It explains how she came to be married in the area.

Beddis is a common name in the Forest. I've done some research into the name previously but mine seem to be a different family.

--
Peter

Eliza Beddis b 1861

by tanglewood, Friday, November 05, 2021, 22:37 (874 days ago) @ probinson

I'm now appreciating how many Beddis there are. My search only started about four years ago when I managed to identify my birth father whose mother was a Beddis from Oldcroft. Trouble is I keep getting dragged down the first and second cousin route! Must stay more focussed! TG

RSS Feed of thread