Churches in Blakeney (General)

by tanglewood, Monday, March 07, 2022, 15:56 (753 days ago)

Hi. Possibly a silly question but am I right in saying that anyone shown in the transcripts as being baptised in Blakeney in the early 1800s would have been baptised in All Saints' Church because there weren't any other churches there at that time? TG

Churches in Blakeney

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, March 07, 2022, 21:36 (752 days ago) @ tanglewood

My Mum's family, the WICKENDEN's also transcribed as WIGINTON/WIGGINGTON/WICKENTON

13 March 1785
Elizabeth
parents: John & Ann
Notes: Blakeney Chapel
Parish Chapel : Awre

there are other baptisms for John & Ann WICKENDEN up to 1797 Parish Chapel: Awre, Note: Blakeney Chapel

---

Genuki, Gloucestershire, Blakeney

The National Gazette of Great Britian and Ireland 1868

BLAKENEY, a chapelry in the parish of Awre, hundred of Bledisloe, in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles to the S of Newnham. It lies near the river Severn. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value of £232, in the patronage of the Haberdashers' Company, London.

The church is dedicated to All Saints.
The Baptists have a chapel in the village.
Cattle fairs are held here on the 12 May and 12 November

Churches in Blakeney

by RogerBowery, South Croydon, Tuesday, June 20, 2023, 08:50 (283 days ago) @ tanglewood

I grew up in Blakeney, and in addition to All Saint's Church, there was the Baptist Chapel (on the A48,next to the school), and the Tabernacle (on Cinderford Road), although I believe that the latter may have been built after the period you are interested in. There was also a Chapel on Blakeney Hill, where I attended Sunday school.

Churches in Blakeney

by tanglewood, Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 05:48 (282 days ago) @ RogerBowery

Thank you Roger. I'll look into that. TG

RSS Feed of thread