Kingsford & Lewis, Auctioneers, Beaufort Square, Chepstow (General)

by LarryBennett, Sunday, August 07, 2022, 16:59 (118 days ago)

I have been trying for some time to find the exact location of the offices of Kingsford and Lewis, auctioneers and estate agents, who apparently had premises in Beaufort Square, Chepstow during the 1890s.

The 'Kingsford' in this partnership was Alfred Edwin Kingsford, Choir Master and Organist at St Mary's Church.

All I know of the office location is that it was 'opposite the London and Provincial Bank, Beaufort Square' but no indication of which direction. It could be that the building housing the office no longer exists but I would be very grateful for any information!

Many thanks.

Kingsford & Lewis, Auctioneers, Beaufort Square, Chepstow

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Monday, August 08, 2022, 22:00 (117 days ago) @ LarryBennett

Hi

Are you familiar with the location of the London and Provincial Bank in Beaufort Square ?
It appears to me to have been demolished and replaced with the Barclays Bank Building with the buildings beside also demolished when the High Street was widened. Now the Barclays building stands by itself between Beaufort Square and Bank Square.
Some of the buildings surrounding this area appear to still exist when looking at NLS Ordnance Survey Maps from 1890's.
Newspaper Articles from the period only refer to the Auctioneers as only being from "Chepstow".
A bit frustrating.

Sid Toomey

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, August 09, 2022, 11:03 (116 days ago) @ LarryBennett

Do you have access to the Census Reports?
I think that with a bit of perseverance and good luck, comparing the census addresses for inhabitants with British listed buildings for Beaufort Square, you could get a good feel for the area. (if you haven't already done so.)
The 1901 Census report lists an Auctioneer a couple of entries after the London and Provincial Bank.
Other entries before and after are traceable on Listed buildings records and previous and subsequent Census reports.

by LarryBennett, Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 18:01 (115 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Hi, I do indeed have access to the Censuses - I'll certainly have a trawl through and see what I can discover. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! I don't know Chepstow that well so glad for the guidance.

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 22:12 (115 days ago) @ LarryBennett

Hi

I think Chepstow Museum might also be worth contacting. I saw a photograph on line of the Old London and Provincial Bank Building taken from the back view in Bank Square. On its right were the buildings demolished when the High Street was widened. There was also an article naming building occupiers which makes me think they might have more information and being local could be able to help.

Sid Toomey

RSS Feed of thread