Place location - Warnes (somwhere near Dymock) (General)

by sian, Sunday, October 14, 2007, 04:58 (6037 days ago)

After finding several wills of my Hodges ancestors, it would appear that they lived at Warnes Dymock in the 16th and 17th centuries. They then lived at Leadington Farm/Place and Lady grove aka Bush.

I've found Leadington on a Victorian map at old maps and there seem to be a group of buildings there. I've also found reference to Bush farm on the early census returns.

Could anyone help with locating any of these places (I assume they were farms as the earlier Hodges are described as Yeomen)?

Sian

Leadington Farm ( Dymock)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, October 14, 2007, 05:30 (6037 days ago) @ sian

Leadington is north of Dymock , on the way to Ledbury ( in Herefordshire ) following the River Leadon

Victorian County History has :-

"Leadington Farm ( also known as Leadington Place) a farmstead a little to the north west owned by the Hodges family in the 18th centry, had been incorporated into Bellamy's farm by the mid 19th century."

Bellamy's Farm Dymock
Map Reference SO 6972 3370

Old maps ref :- 369720 233700

by sian, Sunday, October 14, 2007, 09:38 (6036 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you for the map refs slowhands and the info fron Victoria Histories - must have missed that, I've downloaded the draft version is it out in the complete version now?

Just got to find Warnes now. All the Hodges seem to have lived in that area, so I'm wondering if it was an earlier building and it was replaced.

Sian

by sian, Thursday, June 26, 2008, 09:04 (5781 days ago) @ sian

Replying to my own message in the interests of completion. I have recently discovered that Warn(e)s was probably near Pounds , as in 1866 a William Fowler Pope purchased property called Ponds and Warns by indenture dated 11th October 1866.

Sian

The Pounds, Tillers Green ( Dymock)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, June 26, 2008, 10:07 (5780 days ago) @ sian

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cbennett/dymock1876.htm

Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of
Dymock 1876

POPE William Fowler, farmer, The Pounds

http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/GLS/Dymock/dymock3.html

The original postcard has a wide white border around it, and a caption:

THE POUNDS, DYMOCK.

The Pounds is within an area of Dymock known as Tiller's Green. The Rev. J. E. Gethyn Jones in his book “Dymock down the Ages” suggests it may have been the Home Farm of the Old Grange, citing evidence of the passage of Monks between the two, in local names Monks Meadow and Monks Bridge.

It was the home of the CAM family from the early 16th century to late 18th. He also recounts that in 1938 a stairway was discovered half-way up the kitchen chimney, and 9 years later 2 secret rooms to which it led, suggesting its residents in Elizabethan times might have been Recusants.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by sian, Friday, June 27, 2008, 07:07 (5780 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks Slowhands,

I now have two connections to this property as Warnes was lived in by the Hodges family up to the late 1600's and Pounds was lived in by the Hoopers up til the mid 1800's (one of the Younger Hoopers married a Hodges).

I have the book 'Dymock down the ages' and a very interesting read it is too.

Sian

by stonechat @, Monday, December 31, 2012, 13:22 (4131 days ago) @ sian

In following this up I found another similar reference in the Gloucs Archives catalogue
Item D892/T25
On this item , no 17 is as follows
(17) 1752: Messuages called the Pounds, Warns, Dorres-ditch meadow, lands;

What also caught my eye was (sub)item 12 in the same list
(12) 1715: Lands, etc, (on site of tenement) called Luff lands, lands called the Ruddings and other lands. [Marriage settlement of Thomas Hill of Old Rock, gent., and Hannah Puckmore, dau. of William P. of Pauntley, yeoman];

The reason this struck me as this Thomas and Hannah were parents of Hannah Hill 1723-1797 who married William Hodges 1713-1790

I had previously ascribed Hannah to a different father.

by sianb, England, Saturday, September 04, 2021, 16:48 (962 days ago) @ stonechat

Such a tangles web. I seem to be related to most of the farming families in the area through various different lines.
I went to Dymock a few years ago to see what I could see and was fortunate to be allowed onto the Pounds land (it was up for sale at the time) and took photos.
Still no evidence of where Warn(e)s was, but it must have been close.
Wondering if it was demolished when the railway line was driven through this area.

RSS Feed of thread