The Crown Inn (General)

by kerriaylesbury, Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 04:23 (5676 days ago) @ Shari

Hi,

I appreciate that this posting is a few years old but came across it while searching the forum for 'Crown Inn'. I have a death certificate for a relative, Mark Malson. In the "when and where" died section, it states that he died at the Crown Inn, Hope Mansell, Hereford. The cause of death "Alcohol Delirium Tremors, certified". He died on the 1st April 1874 (not long before Shari's ancestor was born there) at the age of 30.

Unless there is another Crown Inn in the vicinity I'm pretty sure that this is the same inn. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was lodgings at the Inn at this time - Mark was lodging with his brother and family during the 1871 census, but I guess I was trying to build a picture of whether he would likely to walk to the Inn to be drinking in the Crown on a Wednesday (his 1871 census record shows he was living at 'Tump Hill) or whether he could be lodging at the Inn and it was convenient?

I was also wondering if, due to his young age and as this is in a public house, if there would likely be an 'inquest' into his death?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread