The Crown Inn (General)

by May @, Forest of Dean, Monday, December 05, 2005, 06:09 (6720 days ago) @ Shari

Hi Shari,

The information Slowhands has given you about the location of The Crown Inn is "spot on" as usual. Also your information about the Gloucestershire/Herefordshire boundary line is correct.

Some background information that may interest you ...

The immediate area is locally called Hawthorns Cross Drybrook probably because of the crossroads close by (Drybrook to Bailey Lane End road and the Puddlebrook to Hope Mansell road)

I believe the Euroclydon was built by an owner? of the Trafalgar Colliery and has a tower at one end from the top of which he could reputedly see the colliery. I can't vouch for this as I haven't been to the top of the tower since I was a teenager (long time ago!). It became an hotel for a number of years before that closed and it became a home for the elderly.

The Crown has been a private house since about 1970 but outwardly it has changed little. That date is only an educated guess as I have known two of the owners since that time. It was very popular pub in its day partly perhaps because of the boundary which ran through the property. One bar was in Herefordshire and the other in Gloucestershire and because these counties had differing licensing laws the Herefordshire bar closed later than the Gloucestershire bar. There is no prize for guessing which bar was used the most! I seem to remember that there was a skittle alley in a building at the back. Although I can picture the last landlord I can't remember his name but I'm sure my husband will know if you think it will help you backtrack.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread