Ann MEEK and her father Barzillai MEEK (General)

by Jenny White, Saturday, November 26, 2005, 14:35 (6729 days ago)

I have just received the marriage certificate of ANN MEEK born c 1823 ish. Ann was the mother of Harriet Meek, born c 1845. Harriet was illegitimate.

ANN MEEK married Thomas ADAMS in 1846 and on the certificate Ann's father is named as BARZILLAI MEEK.

I have found BARZILLAI on 1841 census age 48, occupation Lime Burner. Living with him are daughters, Elizabeth 15, Maria 12 and Charlotte 10. Also living with him is Hannah Cowmeadow age 25 and Mary Ann Cowmeadow age 4.

On the 1851 census I have found BARZILLAI age 58 in East Dean, living at Lea Bailey Hill, Hurst Butchers? By this time he has married Hannah Cowmeadow and "adopted" her daughter Mary Ann. The only daughter living at hom now is Maria. Barzillai gives his place of birth as "Dean Forest"

BARZILLAI married Hannah Cowmeadow Sept quarter 1842. Hannah would be his second? wife. Does anyone have any information on Barzillia's first wife. She must have died sometime between the birth of her last child c1831 and the 1841 census.

My ANN MEEK is not living at home with BARZILLAI in 1841 and she is married to Thomas Adams by 1851. Ann's daughter Harriet was born in Lea Bailey abt 1845.

BARZILLAI's would be born abt 1793 and I have found on the IGI a birth for a Barzillia in 1793 in Mitcheldean with parents Cornelius Meek and Elizabeth Taylor. I had thought that Barzillai as a name would be fairly easy to track but there are several Barzillai's around this time.

Can anyone find ANN MEEK on the 1841 census?

Does anyone have any connection to BARZILLAI MEEK. Barzillai may also have had a son Elijah MEEK born abt 1824 as there is a son called Barzillai born abt 1851 to Elijah Meek and Mary Ann.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jenny

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread