Mary TOWNSEND, Alfred PRICE - Lydbrook 1920's / Lydney (General)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, January 08, 2011, 17:44 (4858 days ago) @ Jim Patterson

My name is Jim Patterson and today I live on the far west coast of Canada on Vancouver Island where I emigrated after leaving the military in the late 1970s.

My grandparents were Forest of Dean folk through and through and for many generations, but due to hard times during the dirty 1930s were forced to leave the Forest searching for work. However some of my grandparent’s siblings and extended family did stay or eventually return home to what they knew and loved, but my side mostly spread out all over the globe it seems.

About 11 years ago I became physically disabled and due to my son then doing a school assignment in which I was asked to produce a family tree this process got me digging up many of my ancestors from all over the world.

At this time I also mailed out some 1,300 letters to all known kin in the Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Monmouthshire areas mostly to keep my mind active as I struggled to heal. This process worked for the most part but I became obsessed in uncovering where my most direct lines ended up: ie Townsend, Dobbs, Lear, Carter and my great aunt Mary Price’s descendants in the Lydney area.

From family stories Mary Price of Lydney (née Mary Ann Towns­end) was a well known medium and card reader in her day, albeit husband Alf Price strongly disapproved of folk visiting his home getting readings it was said.

Alfred William Price born in 1896 Gloucestershire, and wife Mary, born in 1898 in Bargoed, Monmouthshire, had the following children: George Price, who became a publican/landlord and had the Bridge Inn in Cinderford, the 21 Club in Cheltenham and the Red Hart in Awre; brother Grenville Price, was into auto mechanics we heard; Brian Price, who was the Lydney Cinema projectionist in his day, and sister Marjorie Cynthia Price, we believe moved to Poole in Dorset after marriage?

If any family or Foresters can help in connecting me with my Price family all guidance would be greatly appreciated.

In searching your Review online today I was saddened to read a relative, ex of Yorkley, Desmond Dobbs passed away very recently. To the family, please accept my condolences.

– Jim Patterson

<><><><>
Name: Mary Ann Townsend
Year of Registration: 1898
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Bedwelty
County: Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 133

Thomas Etheridge abt 1848 Higherom, Gloucestershire, England Head Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Louisa Etheridge abt 1847 Ashton Keynes, Gloucestershire, England Wife Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Edith Emily Price T abt 1873 Gloucestershire, England Daughter Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Eugenia Bessie Etheridge abt 1881 Gloucestershire, England Daughter Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Thomas Clinton Etheridge abt 1884 Gloucestershire, England Son Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Victor Reinold Etheridge abt 1886 Gloucestershire, England Son Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Louisa Effie Etheridge abt 1888 Gloucestershire, England Daughter Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Alfred William Price abt 1897 Gloucestershire, England Grandson Gloucester, Gloucestershire

PRICE ALFRED WILLIAM M 1897 14 Gloucester Gloucestershire

Year: 1919
Month: Dec
Day: 25
Grooms_Surname: PRICE
Grooms_Forenames: Alfred W
Grooms_Age: 22
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Lower Lydbrook
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: TOWNSEND
Brides_Forenames: Mary A
Brides_Age: 21
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Walford He[re]f[ordshire]
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns:
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark:
Witness_1:
Witness_2:
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: PA 208/3
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Lydbrook Baptist

These maybe the Townsend Price children referred to above

Marjorie C Price Apr May Jun 1922 Monmouth Wales
George T Price Oct Nov Dec 1925 Ross Gloucestershire, Shropshire, Herefordshire
Alfred I G Price Jul Aug Sep 1927 Monmouth Wales
William B Price Jul Aug Sep 1929 Westbury S Gloucestershire, Shropshire, Herefordshire

<><><> Brian PRICE
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=28274

<><><> remarried in Poole .

Name: Marjorie C Price
Spouse : Cyril R Hookings
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1941
Registration district: Forest of Dean
Registration county (inferred): Gloucestershire
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 1027

Name: James N Hookings
Mother's Maiden Surname: Price