Thousands of newspapers from British Library now on line (General)

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, December 01, 2011, 21:38 (4527 days ago)

I've found out that on 29th November the British Library put hundreds of the newspapers in its archive on line. I've been on the BBC's website which explains it in more depth and has a link to the British Newspaper Archive. I've not yet explored it but I think it will be of interest to others so that's why I've put this posting on your website. It's free of charge to search it and there are already more than 3,000,000 pages on there. The British Newspaper Archive comes up swiftly in any search engine.
Happy browsing!

P.S. I posted the above paragraph yesterday. I've since been on the archive's website and it's a bit tantalising because only a bit of it is free of charge the rest incurs charges. It's rather like Ancestry.Com and The National Archives in that respect. Though having said that, the snippets which can be viewed for free can reveal some interesting information, e.g. the newspaper where the article appears and some of the content. I've managed to find the name of the spouse of one of my relatives so tantalising or no it's useful for giving leads to further research if readers are as mean as me or as cautious as I am about paying for anything over the Internet!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread