WW1 soldiers (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 13:59 (3760 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Hi Harry,
thanks very much for your really helpful insight into soldier identification, with the benefit of your expert guidance it is indeed clear to see WHJ appears to be a more recent recruit, thanks for the pointers such as the cap shape. Am I right in presuming all WW1 Tommys were issued with essentially the same shape/style cap, ie no Regimental variations ?. Also, approximately when did tin helmets start being issued ?, and did this result in the peaked caps stop being issued perhaps in favour of simpler forage caps ?
Re the cap badge, I'm not for a moment querying your findings, but am I right in thinking the Gloster's badge was particularly distinctive in shape & size compared to all the other Regiments ? I ask as I've never really studied/compared them particularly on photos such as this, but I assume there must have been dozens ?? of different badges across the various units, which from a distance to my poor uneducated eyes would often appear similar.
Thanks again.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread