WW1 soldiers (General)

by HarryBrook @, Saturday, January 18, 2014, 20:18 (3760 days ago) @ Jefff

Jefff,
To my knowledge there were two types of cap issued in WW1. An early issue cap, called a trench cap, with flaps to cover the ears if required. Generally worn with the flaps tied up over the top of the cap. And then there was the one as seen in the photo of the group with William Howard James. It was usual to "customise" this by taking out the rim stiffener and re-shaping the top, again as seen in the photo.
The steel helmet was introduced in 1916 and was in general use by the summer, i.e. for the Battle of the Somme. The cloth cap was worn when out of the trenches.
Scottish Regiments wore glengarries or tam-o'-shanters, but let's not complicate matters too much.
The forage cap was, I think, generally seen as part of full dress uniform going back into Victorian times. It appears to have become usual issue again to other ranks, Army, after WW1. It was worn in WW1 by R.F.C., later R.A.F., personnel.
Regarding identifying cap badges - As long as the photo is not blurred and not too small it is reasonably easy to identify them with the aid of a good reference book; the best being "Military Badges of The British Empire 1914-18" by Reginald H. W. Cox.
Harry

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread