FOD families who moved to Australia & New Zealand in 19th C (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 01:18 (2782 days ago) @ jhopkins

Hi John,
oops, sorry abt that ! Oddly enough, after posting I did remind meself to check I had your name right, but as usual with me these days I then promptly forgot...
No idea where I got Janet from, but hey I wasn't far away, all things considered !.
Ref the Janet and John books, yes they taught me to read too, in the mid 60s. As you say all terribly non-pc, yet (incredibly ! - or not in fact), hugely effective too. I guess NZ had the Ladybird kids books too, BBC4 did an excellent documentary abt them a few years back, superbly planned, written and illustrated, happy memories of my primary school days which I loved.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/entries/130295e9-2940-3881-8c05-a029620eaa23

Ref your Great Uncle, well I've done some pretty crazy things on bikes, had a few nasty accidents too, but even in my carefree childhood I'd have NEVER even ridden never-mind raced on a penny-farthing, looks incredibly dangerous to me, so very fast and a long way to fall, so all credit to brave Charlie !

Thanks again JOHN for your interesting posts, atb Jeff

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread