Samuel Jones, b 1825 Clearwell ? (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, June 05, 2017, 18:29 (2517 days ago) @ Sonia

Hi Sonia welcome to the forum. You probably know that JONES is statistically the most common surname in the Forest, and Samuel isn't a rare name either, so this may be a tricky query !. Probably the easiest way is to find him is still living with or near to his parents on the earlier Census returns, I guess from your post that so-far you only have his 1871 & 1891 records ?

I think this might be him in 1881, it was entirely normal for Foresters to move into the industrial parts of Monmouthshire, and vice versa, chasing work. Hopefully the details for his job, and age etc for his wife Sarah matches the info you have ?. Luckily this record also includes Sarah's mother;

1881; Bottom of Garn, Trevethin with Pontypool, Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Samuel Jones Head Married Male 56 1825 Blacksmith At I Works Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Sarah Jones Wife Married Female 56 1825 - Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales
Ellen Jones Daughter Single Female 20 1861 Dom Serv Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales
Samuel Jones Son Single Male 18 1863 Collier Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales
Jane Davies Mother In Law Widow Female 81 1800 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, England

The Census image shows there is a note in the extreme R/H column against Sarah saying "partially insane of years". This may well explain her absence from your 1891 Census record for Samuel.

----------

Also found this record which seems a good fit EXCEPT wrt his link to Ann STEPHENS ???.

1851; Garndiffeath, Trevethin, Pentypool, Monmouthshire, Wales
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Ann Stephens Head Widow Female 64 1787 Beer Retailer Monmouthshire, Wales
Samuel Jones Son-In-Law Married Male 29 1822 Black Smith Clearwell, Gloucestershire, England
Sarah Jones Wife Married Female 27 1824 - Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales
John Jones Son - Male 3 1848 At Home Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales
Sarah Jones Daughter - Female 2 1849 At Home Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales
Thomas Milgrove Lodger Unmarried Male 23 1828 Miner Blackwell, Somerset, England
Mary Rees - Married Female 40 1811 Servant Monmouthshire, Wales

I'm afraid I must go now, but will try to revisit this later on.
atb J

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread