Thomas Teague born 1791 English Bicknor (General)

by BelindaHill @, Sunday, July 19, 2020, 05:42 (1367 days ago) @ unknown

Hello,

My name is Belinda and I have been researching Thomas Teague as he married into my family. I came across these threads and researched further. The proof came when researching my Thomas Teague as he, his wife and son James are mentioned in his father in laws will. Thomas Teague was name in the will of my ancestor Benjamin Moore (who died in 1845 in Abenhall). He was listed as Thomas Teague otherwise Jones, as was his wife Mary (who was actually Jane Mary but known all her life as Mary, her middle name, as her mother's name was also Jane). Their eldest son james Teague (b.1817) was also listed as James Teague otherwise Jones. So in answer to all these threads, your Thomas actually married Mary Moore (Jane Mary Moore 1794-1880). The "otherwise Jones" bit confused me for quite a while, also I couldn't find one marriage of a Teague and moore. HOWEVER, this is because as he is known as "otherwise Jones" his real surname was Jones and THIS is what he married under. Their marriage is listed here on the Forest of Dean.net ie -

Thomas Jones of extra parochial, bachelor, married Mary Moore, spinster, married by Banns on 27/5/1817. Officiating Minister John Bowen. Witness 1 - Moses Symonds (this was Mary's brother in law who married her sister Eliza) Witness 2 - Mary Baldwin.

In the will my Benjamin Moore left a pile of land to his four kids (and a couple of grandkids) that they all resided on in Plump Hill area. The land Thomas Teague, Mary and the kids lived on was owned at that time by Benjamin. The land their son James lived on was also owned by Benjamin and he also left this to him in the will.

Thomas Teague did quite well for himself though, becoming a brick manufacturer. He died on the 5/5/1864 as there is a list in the will section on this website for him.
Mary never remarried and there is also a probate listing for her on ancestry.

I have never worked out why he was known as "Jones" and why he married after this, but then he was known as Teague from then on. I can't find one marriage of a Teague anywhere in the UK of a Teague to a Jones in the right time period. I thought maybe one parent or the other had been the Teague. It could be that he was Jones, and that when young his mother remarried and he was raised a Teague???

There are baptisms for a Thomas Jones in English Bicknor around 1791, but no Thomas Teagues. I had also wondered whether he had been illegitimate and that's why the two names.

I hope this clears this up. I have looked at the other possible choices for Thomas and Mary but have proven beyond a doubt that his wife is my Jane "Mary" Moore, daughter of Benjamin Moore and Jane Bright (who died in 1802). There was another Thomas Teague during this time in the forest of Dean but he died in the 1830's and is not ours.

I can't find who is parents were or siblings of him, but if there was a written copy of his will maybe there might be some sort of clue. I can't find anything in the early newspapers on findmypast either.

Belinda.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread