John Cooke ( Cook), Thomas Alfred b1889 (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, November 02, 2023, 23:38 (177 days ago) @ billcs777

Hi,
I appreciate I'm new to this search so apologies if I'm revisiting old ground, but I find the FreeBMD site excellent for quickly looking-up death dates. I wonder if this is your Thomas Alfred, it seems a good fit to me, wotyereckon ?;

Surname Given Name DoB District Volume Page Transcriber
Deaths Jun 1972
Cook Thomas Alfred 24 Ap 1889 Cheltenham 7b 852 baters-mum

I appreciate the surname may not be spelt as you expected, but bear in mind that even if the family had deliberately changed the way they spelt it, this name is one that can easily be mis-spelt, or mis-transcribed, when the various records were created.
Also, when you say the spelling changed at a particular time, what's your point of reference for this change ?. I've seen cases where a family's surnames seem to have changed slighly with time, but the PRs show it's cos the family have moved church, or gained a new Minister, and he spells their names differently than his predecessor did.

This seems a good fit for wife Mary A, also from FreeBMD.

Surname Given Name Age District Volume Page Transcriber
Deaths Mar 1963
COOK MARY A. 75 CHELTENHAM 7B 522 jemello

So born abt 1888, as you know. Seems a good fit, worth following-up with care as it's a common nameset in that District. The FreeBMD site does not give any relevant records for a "Mary A CookE" in this District.

I don't currently have any subs, but hopefully more info is available on Ancestry, FMP, etc ?.
I'm also a big fan of the old newspaper sites, may find obituaries or funeral notices etc.

Hope this helps, J.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread