Phebe ROBERTS Hawthorns 1800/1 - 1876 (Urgent)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, November 06, 2023, 17:17 (173 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks again for this M, and your earlier post confirming that Aaron was an old man when he died, so almost certainly the one I thought it was. Plus of course your report today from the Hereford Times - before reading that detailed report I was surprised to find that Aaron had attacked a man of half his age. However I now see he was presumably a healthy strong man for his age, and clearly a very unpleasant man too, especially after a few drinks.

Events such as these, which don't seem to be that uncommon, rather makes one query why so many people nowadays talk so fondly about "the good old days", without realising that in fact they were very hard and difficult times indeed.

Thanks also for these mentions of his son Timothy Roberts.
Some years ago I "blitzed" the BNA website and found several mentions of the Roberts of Rurdenill and surrounding area, most of them suggesting they were a rather troublesome bunch. However I seem to have mislaid my findings, hopefully they will turn-up again over the next few months, my study is in some degree of confusion to put it mildly. :-)

atb J

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread