Volunteers required to transcribe Coroners Inquests (Announce)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, August 03, 2008, 20:05 (5751 days ago) @ jopalmer

Pleased to read that the information found on this Web site has been invaluable in your family research and I agree It would be nice to have more Coroners Reports available on the site.

We are not a commercial organisation like many genealogy sites you will find on the World Wide Web and everything we have is available completely free for everybody to view. We do however ask if you find something interesting and helpful to your research that you consider making a Donation to go towards some of the many costs we have.

All the Parish Records transcripts we have are only available because of the many hours of work put in by many volunteer transcribers we have. Other material such as Wills, Photos, Articles and so on are kindly sent to us by individuals.

Although we have many people helping with the Parish Records Transcription Program we only have one person who is David Drinkwater doing transcripts of the Coroners Reports. David personally goes regularly to the Gloucestershire Archives to photograph the records so he can then transcribe each record in an individual document. He also compiles an index of all the deceased names and people present at at the inquests into a spreadsheet.

The inquest which David transcribes are taken from the Forest of Dean Journals there all also inquest from the Gloucester Journals which many cover the Forest of Dean area. We have some of the Gloucester Journal Inquest which have been posted here on the forum which were kindly copied by Chris Wilcox from another source.

What we need of course in order to to have more inquests available on the site are more volunteers to transcribe the Coroners Inquests. If anybody would like to assist David with the Forest of Dean Inquests and / or the Gloucester Inquests that we need to copy into individual documents together with an Index, please contact me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread