Henry (Harry) Edwards born 1859 in Lydney Glos (General)

by unknown, Monday, May 14, 2012, 15:02 (4365 days ago) @ winky

Hello cousin!

Thank you for the information about Elijah Jessie Edwards. I know Henry and Jesse came to Yorkshire to work in the pits. Silverwood colliery had started production in 1904, and I know that my great grandad Henry Edwards (born 1858) worked there. He became head union man at the colliery. My grandad William, (Henry's son born 1902) followed him into mining and also worked at Silverwood. Jesse probably worked there too?

The 1891 census shows Henry and Jesse as sons (should be step sons), but I have no more detail. Fanny had 3 children Henry, Jesse and Jane when she married Charles Shaw but was a spinster. I haven't yet worked out who the father of the 3 children is/are, so Jesse could belong to Margaret. Fanny then went on to have a son Albert Richard with Charles.

Are you related to Jesse? Do you have any more information about Margaret? I only know about Fanny's sister Esther and brother William.

1891 census - household transcription
SHAW, Charles Head Married M 43 1848 Coal Miner Gloucester
SHAW, Fanny Wife Married F 50 1841 Gloucester
EDWARDS, Elijah Son Single M 29 1862 Coal Miner Gloucester
SHAW, Albert Son Single M 20 1871 Coal Miner Gloucester
SIMPSON, Elizth Ann Granddaughter F 8 1883 York
Piece: 3846 Folio: 127 Page: 38      Registration District: Rotherham
Civil Parish: Rotherham Municipal Borough: Rotherham Address:29, Kenneth Street, Rotherham County: Yorkshire (West Riding)

Hotfoot

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread