Primrose Hill etc school records & registers (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, October 19, 2012, 14:52 (4215 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi again William,
as it seems probable your ancestors attended Primrose Hill School, I would strongly suggest it is well be worth contacting the school (see above website) yourself to ask if they have old registers etc, they may well be able to help you.

I say this as my eldest sister teaches at Coalway Junior School nr Coleford; altho' their school website doesn't obviously mention school history etc, she told me they recently found some school Registers and Teacher's Log books at the back of an old cupboard. She was keen to get them properly documented if not transcribed for public access including the schoolchildren's own projects, before getting the original books into a "proper" public place such as the Dean Heritage museum. In the hope it may benefit this forum etc I'll ask her for more info as to the outcome, altho I strongly suspect she'll report little change as these small schools are always so busy with the "normal" day to day workload that such good intentions can suffer delays.

[UPDATE: She's not certain but she's confident the Registers go right back beyond 1900 or so, all handwritten of course, including entries for punishments such as the cane for "chicken stealing". These books are currently still at the School.]

Finally I know The National Archives often holds old school records via the various County Council records. Carefull & selective use of their search engine will often yield promising results, see this set of hits for "Primrose Hill Lydney", as you can see the national website shows the holdings for/at the Glostershire Archives, pls tell me if the link doesn't work:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/search_results.aspx?Page=1&QueryText=prim...

Hope this helps,
Atb Jeff

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread