George Bradley linked to Fountain Inn Parkend ? (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, May 06, 2017, 22:49 (2555 days ago) @ obscurasky

Hi Alan, thanks for explaining. I did think you might be one & the same, but as your "old" Fountain Inn username is still active/live (it displays as a blue hyperlink, not black), then I guessed not; ah well no matter.

Did you find George on the Gazette's website ?. If so I'm impressed, I usually struggle with it, it's ECR computer seems to struggle to recognise the names I search for, sometimes have to rely on Google doing it instead !. But big thanks for the tip, never thought to look-up landlords on it, I've a fair few in my trees so that's worth following-up, thanks.

Funny really, I spent a hour last night trying to link your Bradley landlord with one of mine, aka the landlord of the Farmer's Boy in Longhope c1940, as his dad was before him.
Took me ages to eventually realise I had my memory-wires crossed, and the pub landlord was in fact Sidney COMPTON, as was his father George, whereas Jack BRADLEY was the local butcher c1950 and son of Fred and also butcher before him..., and not a landlord at all, duh... It amused me to find that Sidney Compton's brother was a long way from being a pub landlord, as in 1911 he was Dean or similar at Chester Cathedral.

I expect like us you've tried searching this site's BMDs for George, and the Census' too, and similarly found no obvious tie-ins ? I therefore suspect the ever-reliable MPG may well be correct with her suggestion, and that George wasn't a local Parkend resident unlike so many landlords in those times, but a "placement" by the brewery, hence my thinking he was a "temporary" one.

Good luck with your researches, I'll have to look-up your book. I did look-up the Fountain in Heather Hurley's RFoD Pubs book, but nothing new there. Shame her book doesn't have an index of the many & various landlords names it contains, maybe that's a project for me after I finish doing my planned catalogue of all the people named in the otherwise excellent Humphrey Phelps FoD old photo books. Unfortunately my books are boxed-up awaiting our moving-house, otherwise I'd have a look for the Fountain.

atb Jeff

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread