BURR "CASTLE" ?, WHITCHURCH (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 00:40 (2228 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you to Mike and Jefff for your replies.
I have seen the Curious Fox enquiry from 2006 regarding Boar Castle and it is this enquiry which helped intrigue me.
Unfortunately, i don't think they advance my search but i have some more information to share.
I studied a couple of previous and subsequent Census returns and came up with the following information.

In 1871 Joseph Taylor and his wife also lived at Boars Castle. His occupation was given as "Farm Bailey" with his wife being "Bailey Wife" One definition of a "Bailey" is " an open area inside a Castle complex that contained the domestic and other necessary buildings of castle life".

In 1891 Census, Thomas Rudge lived at " Bucks Castle Cottage" located in the same vicinity, based on common entries before and after.

Using this 1891 Census, following the sequence of entries i hopefully followed the Census taker and have tentatively placed the site to the East of Lewiston Mill and South of Greenway Farm. This is shown on an 1887 map. This area also contains a notation "Tessellated Pavement found" which another old map shows as Roman Ruins. This area is just West of Village of Whitworth.

This is doing my head in, although in an enjoyable way.

I have marked up a map which i could send to you if i knew how. There appears to be a facility to attach an image beside this message but how to do it is beyond me.

Thank you

Sid Toomey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread