HOPKINS (General)

by jhopkins @, Monday, August 27, 2018, 01:23 (2067 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you for all your hard work.

In the past, I followed up the Philip Hopkins you mention who was baptised in Llandogo in 1774 through the parish records on this site. I was subsequently in touch with descendants of that Philip (one of whom lives in Wales, and one who lives across the ditch in Australia), and that Philip is definitely not my gt gt gt grandfather.

The Llandogo connection was of interest to me, because years ago Mike Johns (who had/has Monmouthshire genealogy interests) published a family tree for the Hopkins family because his mother is connected to us. Mike started the tree with "my" Philip, but had no earlier records. He pondered in passing whether there was a connection "to the Llandogo lot", and when I questioned him on his basis for thinking this, he said there was a lot of similarity between the first names of the Hewelsfield and Llandogo families, and they were just across the bridge from each other.

I have personally yet to find a definite connection, but you seem to have identified some possibilities. There are still no parish records for the baptism of either Philip or his brother Charles in any of the Parishes covered by this site, yet Philip is described on census records (I forget which one[s]} as born in county.

I will try again to see if there is a baptism record for Charles in Llandogo.

Thanks again.
John

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread