Albion Inn, Cinderford (General)

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Thursday, March 07, 2019, 21:55 (1848 days ago) @ Jefff

Fraid not Peter re the books.

I guessed not but thought it worth asking. Thanks anyway.

Fair point wrt the numbering on GlosPubs site, I'm not able to access the census images so know less than you do (no surprise there). But looking along Victoria Street on the Streetview images (which I see are already 10 years old!), I think it's fair to say the vast majority of housing along there are much newer than 1870s.

Going on it's position in the census it lies between the Forgehammer and the bottom end of Victoria Street or maybe even in Valley Road (though Valley Road didn't exist then). The houses in that area that were around at the time are still mostly there, just hidden behind the new(er) houses.

Have you tried searching the BNA site for it ? (not that it will tell you WHERE it was).

Must do that.

Or maybe visiting the Gage Library at the Heritage Museum, they may have something ?.

I actually emailed the Gage today to see if they have anything. I thought they used to have a list on their website of what they held but not anymore it seems.

By the way, it's nice to know that it's not just me with an unhealthy interest in Cinderford's old drinking dens haha. That may explain why we both find ourselves repeating things, or possibly not, or ??? .....

In my case, I think it's more my age. I wasn't much of a drinker when I lived there. That didn't really happen until I moved to Abingdon. Back then, I think Abingdon had more pubs per mile than anywhere.

I do remember a lunch time in the Railway Inn though when I was supposed to be in College. Spent the afternoon stretched out on a bench if I remember. I've never drunk beer since.

Those were the days eh?

--
Peter

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread