BEDDIS - TINGLE/COX??? (General)

by Jean Cholak @, Friday, May 27, 2005, 00:34 (6914 days ago) @ sandra

Sandra:

I went back and had a look at your previous posts on the FOD message board. I see where "Slowhands" mentioned the possible marriage to Alfred Tingle in 1904. That's about the year I was looking for him to have married. Some of my ancestors (the Tingles)lived in Ruspidge also. These would be your Great Aunts then, correct? And, they were all in the service? Doing what?

Alfred was the brother of my Great Grandmother, Catherine (Kitty) Tingle Cox, as you've probably seen by reading previous posts. They came from Cinderford and Coleford with birth and marriage certificates registered in Westbury on Severn.

Alfred was the only brother of my Catherine and she was particularly fond of him. Apparently, his wife, Jennie, wrote to my Catherine frequently; however, we only have one letter which my Grandmother Winifred Cox Welch had saved and we passed down. This letter mentioned the names of some of their children ("our little Ronald" and "our Freddie" who worked at the P.D. Colbery (?) and "Edwin" who worked at "the Farm" with "Mr. Ree Hendrews" (?). It is hard to make out some of the writing which has faded somewhat and is sort of spidery. I found the other children in the census. That is how I came by their names. She signed her letter as "From your loving Jennie & Family". Do they ring any bells with you as cousins?

The letter had the return address of "Llanharan, Glamorgan, Wales" and was written on January 1, 1933, apparently right after Alfred died because it was full of how much she missed him. The letter also makes mention, "but I often think of Annie's words, after poor Tom was killed. She said, "pray to keep your Man" if he's only sitting in the corner for you have got him to talk to and I feel the same, if only I could speak to him and hear him once more ...".
Sorry if I am giving you too much unnecessary or unwanted information, but thought maybe these names might mean something to you. I believe the "Tom" might have been my Great Grandfather, Edwin's, brother, but I'm not sure since we always were led to believe Tom also came to the USA and died here, but not sure what he died of. He would be on the Cox, not Tingle, side of the family, though, so I wondered if there were a Tom and Annie in your branch?

Please respond and let me know if any of these sound familiar.

Thank you for responding,

Jean Cholak

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread