Trafalgar Colliery (General)

by pj_dorrington @, Hampshire, UK, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 14:53 (1245 days ago) @ rodders

Hi,

My 3rd Great Uncle, Moses Walkley, was killed as a result of a surface accident on 27 Jul 1911 at the Trafalgar Colliery. Noted from the accident are below.

My great grandfather was also a miner (had a lot in the family) and I have both of his Davey lamps, not sure which colliery he worked in, still trying to find out. Will update this thread if it was also Trafalgar.

Notes from the Accident:

Deceased and others were moving a queen truss on a bugle on the surface. The top and bottom members of the truss were 10ins. square and the total height 7feet. It was not guyed up in any way but. supported by two men on each side. It tilted toward the side on which deceased was, and as the men were unable to support it, it fell over them. The horse which pulled the bogie was startled by the fall of the truss and started forward. Deceased was inside one of the bays and was caught by the truss and his foot crushed. Blood poisoning supervened and he died in hospital on 1st August. The action of the men in transporting the truss in such a manner was worse than foolish.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread