The Shore family, also known as Windows, c.1890s (General)

by Paul Evans, Tuesday, December 08, 2020, 12:25 (1228 days ago) @ shepway

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply, and for taking the time to find all that information - especially for Henry's birth details which I hadn't found before. I failed to find him on ancestry or familysearch - even now with the info you provided - and I hadn't tried searching on GRO itself, until now. It would be interesting to see whose name is givens as his father on his birth certificate (if any).
I knew about Henry's older siblings being named Windows, and I'd worked out that William Shore could not have been his father. Curiously, on Henry's wedding certificate (1883) his father's name is also given as Henry Shore. His mother was still using the name Shore when he was born so it's natural she gave him the same name. She apparently remarried in 1871, so maybe there was some friction in the family, the stepfather expected him to adopt his surname, or maybe Henry learned the truth about his real father, or maybe he just got on better with the Window(s) side of the family (including his big brother and sister). I also wondered if there might've been some scandal to do with the name Shore or if Henry were hiding from creditors or something.
It occurs to me now to send a message to whoever posted the tree in question on ancestry and see if they know anything. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread