Gravestones - unable to access (General)

by anthonyworgan @, Thursday, December 30, 2021, 18:29 (845 days ago) @ Cathydyer

Yes, I agree with all of the above - the thrill of finding the grave of an ancestor is a very moving experience. With the aid of the graveyard plan of Newland churchyard (compiled by the Gloucestershire FHS many years ago) I was able to locate some of my ancestors gravestones this summer and took photographs of them.
Over the years I have found ancestor gravestones in English Bicknor and Parkend churchyards and when I have re-visited them and taken updated photographs it sadly shows the deteriorating condition of the stones.
In Blaisdon churchyard I have many ancestors who lie buried there but it has taken 8 years of searching to find them because of the conditions of the stones. No survey was ever taken of the churchyard and some of the stones have sunk into the earth due to their age, so the inscriptions have been lost.
However, each summer holiday now in the forest is a real joy because it always includes a graveyard visit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread