Rossers - Coleford (General)

by May Brace @, Sunday, June 05, 2005, 07:27 (6903 days ago)

We have a distant cousin Murray Rosser coming to visit the area in September from New Zealand, and are hoping to find some "rellies" still in The Forest by then.

These are the basics of the family history:-

Edward Rosser 1800/1839 m Martha (possibly b Devizes Wiltshire) and they had 4 children all born in Coleford - William b 1932, Eliza b 1835, James b 1837 and Lydia b 1838. Martha was still a widow at the 1881 census age 80

Murray is descended from William Rosser who emigrated to NZ in 1877 with his wife Eliza (nee Etheridge (Whitchurch)) and three children.

His brother James had emigrated in 1864 with his wife Elizabeth (nee Aston?) and daughter Martha. They had another daughter Eliza Beatrice born in NZ but all 4 came back to The Forest in the late 1870's. This is the James Rosser part owner of Hopewell Engine mine. Martha married Henry John Williams 1887 and that is my connection to this family. Eliza Beatrice married William John Baker in 1897 and I believe he may be from Hubert Baker's family (Staunton Road Coleford).

I am keen to know about Eliza Beatrice Rosser/Wm John Baker's descendants. I am researching Eliza and Lydia Rosser too but as I have the September deadline any info would be appreciated.

My thanks as always to you all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread