John Gough died sometime between 1755-to when (Parish Records)

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Monday, June 20, 2022, 18:14 (673 days ago)

I tried to search to see if John Gough is recorded as having died between 1755 and 1765, as a guess. I know he exists because his name is on the 1755 petition of the Goughs of Willsbury and Ynyscedwyn to the House of Lords, and the plaque in Saint Cynog's Church, Ystradgynlais by Rev James Gough Aubrey mentions his brother John. These are the only evidence of his existence, though I found a possible birth with the potential for the vicar to have latinised his mother incorrectly.

But I am assuming that he died relatively young. There is no other evidence of him. As the youngest son, I assume, of William Gough senior and Catherine nee Portrey, he was born probably very close to his mother's death which would make him 18 or so in the mid 1750s.

I do not yet have Richard Gough Aubrey (the 1st's) will as this is in the National Library of Wales and not the National Archives/Discovery but hopefully I am going to Aberystwyth next month. Richard died at the end of the 1750s, so we will see if he mentions a brother called John.

The wills I DO have, that of James Gough Aubrey, his brother, Christiana Gough nee Fleming (his sister in law by marriage to his brother William) and that of Christiana's brother, Lt General Hezekiah Fleming, make no mention of John Gough. William left no will when he died in 1760, though a family conpact ought to have left Willsbury to his heirs, but this did not happen in the end, and his brother James sold it.

If anyone has any ideas where I can search for John Gough's death I would very much appreciate it

Best Regards
Jon Davies

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread