John GARDYNER, born approx 1700-1715, possibly Whitchurch (General)

by ipmp @, Brisbane, Australia, Sunday, June 16, 2024, 06:48 (14 days ago)

John Gardyner married Elizabeth about 1731-32 and they had 6 children starting with Elizabeth between 1733-1746 in Whitchurch, Herefordshire.

I’m having trouble finding John’s birth parents and year of birth. Would anyone in the forum be familiar with his line of Gardyners?

John GARDYNER, 1705 Dixton ?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, June 18, 2024, 12:26 (11 days ago) @ ipmp

4 miles away from Whitchurch

Year: 1705
Month: Sep
Day: 2
Parents_Surname: GARDYNER
Child_Forenames: John
Fathers_Forenames:
Mothers_Forenames: Jona ( Joan / Joanna?)
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister: James Scudamore Clerk
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: AM2/1
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Dixton

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, June 18, 2024, 15:15 (11 days ago) @ slowhands

As family names were carried through each generation (and still are)... you could try and form family groups to see which couples in Whitchurch use the same christian e.t.c (i.e brothers??)

John & Elizabeth's children

Elizabeth - 1733
John - 1735
Edward - 1738
Alice - 1731
Thomas - 1733
Richard 1746

Edward & Mary

William- 1743
Edward - 1744

William & Anne

John - 1731
Mary - 1734
Anne - 1736
Richard - 1740

Sarah - 1744

Thomas & Mary

----

?

Whitchurch - Baptisms - look for family names

John and Elizabeth GARDYNER

1687 - Elizabeth
1690 - Joan
1696 - William

1699 - John & Hannah GARDYNER

Richard - 1699

and then again

1699 - John & Ann GARDYNER - had a Son Richard baptised.

Obviously needs sorting out!!! But a useful exercise, which may help!

Eleanor - 1739
Thomas - 1742
Mary - 1744
John - 1747
Jonas - 1751

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, June 18, 2024, 15:54 (11 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

This might be worth looking at and reading on Google Books, only because John & Elizabeth had a son Edward, christened n 1738

Google books

A Plain and concise treatise on the properties of Apples and Pears - printed 1700

There is a statement etc - signed by moft humble servant,

E GARDINER

Whitchurch near Monmouth, Herefordshire

---

Also on Google books

A copy of the Poll, taken in Wide-Marsh for the County of - dated 1754

Freeeholders' Names

John GARDINER -

Place of Abode: Whitchurch -

Place of Freehold : Ditto.

---

On Google Books:

Original poems, and essays, by the late William GARDINER - dated 1854

'The author of this column, William GARDINER was born at Whitchurch, in Herefordshire, on the 16h April 1766.

He was the second son of Mr Edward GARDINER, gentleman Whitchurch, and grandson of Edward Gardiner, Esq., barrister-at law, of the same place, who married Mary HUGHES, coheiress of Richard HUGHES Esq. whose ancestors resided at Moyn's Court near Chepstow, and who mother was of the famous house of Morgan.

His paternal great grandmother was a Miss Kemmys, a decendant of one etc. etc.

---

Forest of Dean records

William GARDYNER, christened at Whitchurch 17 April 1766, parents, Edward & Mary.

---

Obbviously, I've no idea whether this is connected in any way. It just shows how Google Books can be a very helpful in family trees.

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, June 18, 2024, 18:53 (11 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Not sure if this helps!!!

On Amazon

'The History of the Gardiners of Whitchurch: Volumes 1 and 2.

Paperback - 22 November 2019 by Dr David James Favager (Author)

This paperback edition of the History of the GARDINERS OF WHITCHURCH includes both volumes originally published as Kindle ebooks. Volume 1 covers the origins of the family in the Wye Valley from the seventeenth century to early years of the nineteenth century.

The focus is on the patriarch of the family, EDWARD, his father (also EDWARD) and grandfather (GILES) his wives and his numerous legitimate and illegitimate children including two published authors, William and Captain Henry Gardiner, who lived at the Old Mill in Goodrich.

Volume 2 continues the story of the family from the early nineteenth to the mid twentieth century etc, etc,

by ipmp @, Brisbane, Australia, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 03:36 (11 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

'The History of the Gardiners of Whitchurch: Volumes 1 and 2'

I was fortunate to find an online version of Vol 1 and it yields a wealth of information which will take some time to wade through. The Edward who seems to be the focus of the book is a bit later on in time but there is still a solid discussion of the Gardyner in the first part of the book.

Thank you again very much for pointing this out to me I would never have found this myself.

My best regards, Ian

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 09:17 (11 days ago) @ ipmp

? Has anyone found any Wills, as these are a great resource for family relationships and of course DNA.
There should be Wills as the family appear to be reasonably wealthy.

e.g.

On the records

Giles GARDINER buried at Goodrich 6 February 1729

Memoranda: Giles Gardiner of WHITCHURCH, Gent.
Affid(avit) Feb 8th

Notes: Old style date 1728/9

As Giles was a Gent, a memorial might also be in the Church.
…..

by ipmp @, Brisbane, Australia, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 09:27 (11 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

The line that Giles was from is different to the one that John was from unfortunately. The book on the Gardyners was mainly focussed on Giles' line (and Edward).

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 09:30 (11 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I’ve just Googled,

‘Where are Herefordshire Wills kept’

Under the Heading

https://www.Herefordshire.gov.uk

Wills search - Herefordshire Council

Is Probate dated 10/5/1729

Gardyner Giles

Whitchurch

Executor: Edward Gardyner

by ipmp @, Brisbane, Australia, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 03:30 (11 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

These Google book references look very interesting. Thank you for this idea.

by ipmp @, Brisbane, Australia, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 03:28 (11 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

This is very helpful. I dare say it will keep me busy for a while as I think it through.

Very much appreciated, thank you.

by ipmp @, Brisbane, Australia, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 03:14 (11 days ago) @ slowhands

An interesting possibility. I take it that this John was illegitimate since there is no father's name provided?

I appreciate your help, thank you.

by ipmp @, Brisbane, Australia, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 06:02 (11 days ago) @ slowhands

Since responding to your message earlier I have had another look at a tree on Ancestry which has several Gardiner lines including the line that includes the John Gardyner who is the subject of my enquiry. Unfortunately I can't attach the screenshot to the forum so I will describe what I have found. The tree shows John with an unsourced baptism date of around 1710. All the other children (John's 'siblings') have baptism records in the database. His parents in this tree are John (1664) and Elizabeth (1666). In this tree they have 6 children, the last of whom is John. One of their daughters was named Joanna (1690). I am wondering if perhaps this Joanna is the same Jona who appears as the mother of John 1705 in Dixton? If it is her, she would have been about 15 years at John's birth and not married it seems, so it is a possibility that Joanna and her child John may have resided with her parents. In this scenario John would be John and Elizabeth's grandson and not their son. The baptisms of their children are: 1687, 1690, 1696, 1700, 1702. With such a long break between 1702 and 1710 (which was probably an estimated date given in the tree) it just seems not quite right that John and Elizabeth were the parents, especially given there is no 1710 baptism record but there are records for all the other children.

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, June 19, 2024, 10:45 (10 days ago) @ ipmp

that scenario seems very plausible

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

RSS Feed of thread