William Hulin (General)

by SueD, Friday, July 26, 2024, 05:36 (84 days ago)

I am a descendant of William Hulin -b 1808 Trellech. William was transported to Australia arriving in 1839. His parents were John Hulin (1782-1810) and Sarah Morris (1764-1849). I'm planning to visit the UK and St Briavels so am interested in any information people might be able to share about this branch of the Hulins and their connection to St Briavels and nearby areas. Thanks, SueD

William HULIN ? circa 1810

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, July 26, 2024, 09:57 (84 days ago) @ SueD

First name(s) William
Crime Stealing
Last name Hulin
Sentence duration 7Y
Age 22
Series HO8
Birth year 1810
Source Home Office: Convict Hulks, Convict Prisons And Criminal Lunatic Asylums: Quarterly Returns Of Prisoners
Year 1832
Piece number 34
Date 06 Oct 1832
Record set England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935
Prisoner number 2490
Category Institutions & organisations
Court Gloucester
Subcategory Prison Registers
Place -
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

First name(s) William
Crime Stealing
Last name Hulin
Sentence duration 7Y
Age 22
Series HO8
Birth year 1810
Source Home Office: Convict Hulks, Convict Prisons And Criminal Lunatic Asylums: Quarterly Returns Of Prisoners
Year 1832
Piece number 34
Date 06 Oct 1832
Prisoner number 2490
Court Gloucester
Place -

First name(s) William
Entry number 2490
Last name Hulin
Series ADM6
Age 22
Piece number 418
Birth year 1810
Source Registers of convicts in the hulk 'Cumberland', moored at Chatham, with gaoler’s reports, 1830-1833
Birth town Monmouth
Folio number 141
Birth county Monmouthshire
Occupation Labourer
Year 1832
Place Gloucester

Year: 1806
Month: Oct
Day: 19
Parents_Surname: HULIN
Child_Forenames: Christopher
Fathers_Forenames: John
Mothers_Forenames: Sarah
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: St. Briavels
Officiating_Minister: Thomas Thomas Curate
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P278 IN 1/4
Page_Number: 20
Parish_Chapel: St Briavels

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

William HULIN

by SueD, Saturday, July 27, 2024, 05:33 (83 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks - that tallies with what I have, except for the birthdate. There seems to have been many Hulins around St Briavels at the time (often named William and Christopher), and this William was born in 1808 in Trellech. His brother Christopher was born in 1806 to John and Sarah. I don't know much about his parents - John and Sarah (Morris) Hulin.
I'm planning to visit St Briavels later in the year - are there places with Hulin connections that would be good to visit?

William HULIN

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Saturday, July 27, 2024, 07:13 (83 days ago) @ SueD

Hi

Have you found where Sarah (his mother) was living at the time of 1841 Census ?
Also was Christopher still alive at the time of 1841 Census?
Last of all, was Christopher married at all ?

Sid Toomey

William HULIN

by SueD, Saturday, July 27, 2024, 07:36 (83 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

The William Hulin I am interested in was born in 1808. His parents John Hulin (1782-1810) and Sarah (Morris) Hulin (1764-1849) married in 1804. Son Christopher was born in 1806 - died unmarried but not sure when or where he was buried. William was transported to NSW. Sarah Morris was probably a widow when she married John Hulin. After John's death. she married again to Thomas James. She lived in Bristol, where she died in 1849.

William HULIN

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, July 27, 2024, 08:35 (83 days ago) @ SueD

Google Books

Transportees from Gloucestershire to Australia 1783-1842 Page 73

Only lists

William HULIN St Briavels age 22
October 1832
Asia 1
M 7 yr 21 February 1833 NSW

---

Forest of Dean Social History (on the net)

WILLIAM HULIN

William HULIN was born in 1810 in St Briavels where he worked as a labourer.
At the age of 22 on 13 October 1832, he was convicted of the theft of a gander valued at 3 shillings, the property of JOHN BURTON, and sentenced to be transported of 7 years.

He had been discharged from Court on two occasions before having been found not guilty or no evidence presented.

After a spell on a hulk, he was transferred to the ASIA 1 which set sail for New South Wales on 4 February 1833 and arrived in Australia on 27 June 1833

HULIN married MARY DONOHOE, also a convict, on 21 April 1840 in Maitland, and went on to have five children.

DONOHOE was born in County Donegal Ireland somewhere between 1814/7 and was transported on the MARGARET (2) arriving in New South Wales on 5 January 1839.

WILLIAM HULIN died on 19 February 1877 in Singleton.

William HULIN

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, July 27, 2024, 08:44 (83 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Baptisms at St Briavels

Christopher HULIN - 2 April 1803 - parents: John & Hannah

Christopher HULIN - 19 October 1806 - parents: John & Sarah

Burials at St Briavels

Christopher HULIN - 7 May 1861 - age 65 c1796 (?possible - christened 21 July 1799 William & Anne)

Christopher HULIN - 7 Decemmber 1875 - age 73 c 1802

William HULIN

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, July 27, 2024, 09:11 (83 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Gloucestershire Genelogical Database

William HULIN - St Briavels (Gaol records)

12 May 1830 - age 20

9 Novemer 1830 - age 20

13 October 1832 - age 22

------

Trelleck Baptisms (on the net)

6 March 1808 - William, son John & Sarah HULIN

William Hulin

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Sunday, July 28, 2024, 23:18 (81 days ago) @ SueD

Hi Sue,

I note you are interested in the St Briavels area re your ancestor William who is proving elusive. Also that you will be visiting the area. This might be a long shot but regarding Christopher you mentioned he died unmarried but not sure when or where.
Have you considered he might have married and had children ?
There is a Christopher Hulin who married a widow Margaret Moran in 1825 and lived on St Briavels Common. They had children Martha,Elizabeth and William. Martha appears to have died as an infant at The Hudnalls.
they appear in 1841 Census. Christopher looks to have died 1875 (taken from my memory).
In my opinion all look like a good possibility except for Christopher's age in 1841 Census which isn't an exact match. However i have only seen a transcription which might be an error although recorded ages sometimes are only approximate or the Enumerator might have been deaf.
A house called "The Hudnalls" appears on "Right Move" for sale at £1.7 million. Apparently it was owned for 50 years by the grand daughter of Edward John Eyre, the explorer after whom Lake eyre and Eyre's Peninsula are named (if you are an Aussie.) Looks like a nice area. I think The Hudnals and St Briavel Common might have been extra parochial land.
National Library of Scotland Ordnance Survey maps might bring up extra information.

Might be a piece for the jigsaw and might lead back to John and Sarah Hulin in a round about way.
Good luck

Sid Toomey

William Hulin

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, July 29, 2024, 09:33 (81 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

On the net

SOME Memorial Inscriptions St Briavels Gloucestershire

C10

William Hulin 25 May 1839, 35

Christopher Hulin, father, 7 February 1844, 76

Clara Harris, granddaughter 2 April 1840, 13

Eliza Harris, died in infancy

William Hulin

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, July 30, 2024, 02:09 (80 days ago) @ SueD

Hi Sue
Since you will be visiting St Briavels later this year, i hope you won't mind my suggesting a site i found very interesting to read about the area through history. It is "British History online".
In particular, " A History of the County of Gloucester : Volume 5, Bledisloe Hundred, St Briavels Hundred,the Forest of Dean".
You should be able to find St Briavels from this.
In it you should be able to find a detailed history, including the numbers of cottages and trades in the villages at different points of time.The Hulin family is mentioned, with a number of them being Masons in the 19th Century as well as being in the area earlier in the 18th Century. If my previous comment about Christopher Hulin looks promising to you, there will be references to Hudnall and Coldharbour to explore.
I realise this doesn't help you find your William but it should give you a feel for the locality and maybe focus your search .
I don't know how much effort or time you are able to devote to the search but something which worked for me was exploring the local church parish registers in detail. If for example you have a subscription to Ancestry or similar and are able to view the actual parish registers on line, you could go back page by page recording the details of all Hulins recorded. Then try to match them in to family groups, also paying attention to the names of any witnesses. Using the actual Census records for the areas to compare, say for 1851 & 41 with the Parish Registers should give you a feel for the area and the people in it.
St Briavels and surroundings don't appear to have been overpopulated and the distances between villages weren't anywhere near as large as the Hunter River area so hopefully the search should be fruitful.
Good luck.

Sid Toomey

William Hulin

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, July 30, 2024, 02:46 (80 days ago) @ SueD

Hi Sue,
I don't want to confuse or complicate your search any further but have you searched the Forum index in this site for Hulin ? There will be twelve pages of previous posts where Hulin is mentioned. Among the entries is one where someone posted that they had a CD with a complete Hulin family history in it. (posted in 2011).
One branch of the family had a farm in Awre which isn't too far away. A Google search for "Hulin's Farmhouse" will bring up a historic building archive with a photograph of the building. Still standing at time of entry but abandoned. Near there is an estate "Oaklands Park" where Hulins worked. I believe it is sometimes open for visitors. One of the many many historic buildings to visit if interested.

Awre might be somewhere to keep in the back of your mind when looking for records if St Briavels fails.

Sid Toomey

William Hulin

by SueD, Tuesday, July 30, 2024, 03:27 (80 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and information. I've looked through the previous posts on this site and find much reference to Isaac Hulin and descendants - which look to be relations albeit a bit distant. I'm trawling through the records on Ancestry, which is interesting as there are many Williams and Christophers who often seem to be confused or conflated. William's father John died in 1810, so does not appear in the 1811 census, which complicates things a bit - presumably William and brother John - aged 3 and 5 respectively - were living with their mother but am yet to confirm where. .
I appreciate the suggestions for places to visit - I have a few days so will probably not get to all but hopefully, will get a sense of the place. In the midst of a cold Australian winter, the idea of visiting somewhere warmer is inviting and I am looking forward to it.
Thanks for all your help.

William Hulin

by jhopkins @, Wednesday, July 31, 2024, 04:25 (79 days ago) @ SueD

Hi Sue, from across the ditch.

I thought I recognised the name Hulin. My Hopkins family lived at some stage in Hudnalls. My great great great grandparents Phillip Hopkin and Sarah Hopkin (yes, that was also her maiden name!) married in 1793. On the Parish Record of the marriage on this site, one of the witnesses was one William Hulin.

There is no telling which generation William was of course. Our family changed the name Hopkin to Hopkins during the lifetime of Phillip and Sarah's children.

Our mob migrated to Aotearoa New Zealand in 1860 (5 of the 10 children of that generation came here, and the other 5 lacked a sense of adventure!). Three of my uncles served in WW1 and during their time in England tried to make contact with Hopkins family in the Forest but did not find anyone (at that stage their grandfather William Hopkins -the first Hopkins migrant - was still alive).

Good luck with your search. We visited the Forest in 2003, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We found the house my great grandmother's family was living in at the time of one of the 19th Century censuses (in Coleford). However, when we visited the Forest, I had too little knowledge (eg I had not heard of Hudnalls at that stage so we didn't visit it, and I thought St Briavels was only a village, whereas it is also a parish). I also did not know where any burials were located. Do try and find out all you can before visiting!

Best wishes, John Hopkins

RSS Feed of thread