Sir Francis Brain (General)

by LOTTABOTTLE, Tuesday, July 08, 2008, 10:44 (5780 days ago)

Looking on the FOD photo gallery i saw a photo sent in by Sam Hale it was in the Drybrook section it was called Deacons at Drybrook Chapel in it is a Sir Francis Brain. Does anyone know his parentage or why he was a Sir. Also which one in the photo is Sir Francis Brain ? I would be grateful for any information carol

Deacons at Drybrook Chapel
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/drybrook/index2.html

Sir Francis Brain - President of Mining Association

by ChrisW @, Tuesday, July 08, 2008, 11:21 (5780 days ago) @ LOTTABOTTLE

Hi

Should think it was this one:

http://www.dmm.org.uk/whoswho/b006.htm

Best Wishes
Chris

PS I'm guessing he was the dude with the fancy lapels sitting in the middle.
You will notice he is not looking at the photographer but posing for a portrait in oils.

by LOTTABOTTLE, Tuesday, July 08, 2008, 12:22 (5780 days ago) @ ChrisW

Thank you Chris for the mining info . You could be right about Francis being the one in the middle he looks vain enough to be one of my Brain ancestors.

by ChrisW @, Tuesday, July 08, 2008, 13:34 (5780 days ago) @ LOTTABOTTLE

You could be right about Francis being the one in the middle he looks vain enough to be one of my Brain ancestors.

Well done. You're getting the hang of this now!

Sir Francis BRAIN - Mining safety and Education

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, July 08, 2008, 12:40 (5780 days ago) @ LOTTABOTTLE

By 1874 electric fuses produced by the Brain family, owners of Trafalgar colliery near Cinderford, were used by the mining and quarrying industries and by civil engineers for blasting. Francis (later Sir Francis) Brain devised improvements in shotfiring mechanisms (fn. 71) and by 1900 a fuse factory had been built west of Trafalgar. (fn. 72)

From: 'Forest of Dean: Industry', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 326-354. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23267. Date accessed: 08 July 2008.

Advanced technical instruction in the Forest developed principally from mining classes started by the county council in the early 1890s. (fn. 75) Classes, including some at a less advanced level, (fn. 76) were held in school buildings in many places, including Bream's Eaves, Cinderford, Coleford, Lydbrook, and Yorkley. (fn. 77) Under the supervision of Francis Brain and later J. J. Joynes they attracted c. 100 students and from 1900 operated a scholarship scheme. (fn. 78) Later the classes were run from the Forest of Dean Mining School, (fn. 79) which the county education committee opened in Cinderford in 1925.

From: 'Forest of Dean: Education', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 405-413. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23274. Date accessed: 08 July 2008.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Sir Francis BRAIN - Mining safety and Education

by LOTTABOTTLE, Wednesday, July 09, 2008, 10:14 (5779 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you slowhands for the information i have sat and read it all what a great sight for history thanks for all your help carol

John James JOYNES - Mining safety and Education

by Digihound @, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 01:27 (4055 days ago) @ slowhands

"Advanced technical instruction in the Forest developed principally from mining classes started by the county council in the early 1890s. (fn. 75) Classes, including some at a less advanced level, (fn. 76) were held in school buildings in many places, including Bream's Eaves, Cinderford, Coleford, Lydbrook, and Yorkley. (fn. 77) Under the supervision of Francis Brain and later J. J. Joynes they attracted c. 100 students and from 1900 operated a scholarship scheme."

Is anyone able to identify this J J Joynes please? I have a John James Joynes born 1865 of Llewellyn Joynes and Mary Esther Reynolds in my tree. Could this be the person referred to?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

John James JOYNES - Mining safety and Education

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 07:35 (4054 days ago) @ Digihound

"Advanced technical instruction in the Forest developed principally from mining classes started by the county council in the early 1890s. (fn. 75) Classes, including some at a less advanced level, (fn. 76) were held in school buildings in many places, including Bream's Eaves, Cinderford, Coleford, Lydbrook, and Yorkley. (fn. 77) Under the supervision of Francis Brain and later J. J. Joynes they attracted c. 100 students and from 1900 operated a scholarship scheme."

Is anyone able to identify this J J Joynes please? I have a John James Joynes born 1865 of Llewellyn Joynes and Mary Esther Reynolds in my tree. Could this be the person referred to?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

He could well be

Year: 1934
Month: Apr
Day: 1
Surname: JOYNES
Forenames: John James
Residence: Mining Engineer
Age_at_death: 69
Officiating_Minister: Rev[erend] H Hedges
Event: Interment
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: (1) Ferndale Lydbrook (2) Section B Child Sp[ace] (3) t 21 (4) Consecrated (5) West Dean
Notes:
Register_Reference: DA25 / 204 / 30
Page_No: 64
Parish_Chapel: Coleford Cemetery

1911 Ferndale Lydbrook Gloshire

John James Joynes 46 Colliery Manager
Mary Ann Joynes 62
Florence Gertrude Joynes 21
Blanche Isabelle Joynes 19
Winifred Ella Joynes 16
Bessie Morgan Joynes 14

Year: 1886
Month: Apr
Day: 28
Grooms_Surname: JOYNES
Grooms_Forenames: John James
Grooms_Age: 21
Groom_Condition: Batchelor
Grooms_Occupation: Colliery Surveyor
Grooms_Residence: Moseley
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Joynes
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Llewellyn
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Collier
Brides_Surname: MORGAN
Brides_Forenames: Florence Isabelle
Brides_Age: 23
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Residence: Whitecroft
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Morgan
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: Enoch
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Mason
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Enoch Morgan
Witness_2: Martha Hannah Joynes
Other_Witnesses: William Enoch Morgan ; Diana James Adams[?]
Officiating_Minister: Jo[hn] Jo[seph] Elsworth Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P245 IN 1/21
Page_Number: 247
Parish_Chapel: Parkend

--

Sir Francis Brain

by jimashton @, Thursday, July 10, 2008, 07:18 (5779 days ago) @ LOTTABOTTLE

Sir Francis William Thomas Brain, born Hope Mansell 28 Oct 1855, died 31 August 1921 Bristol would have been my 4th cousin 3 times removed. He was the son of Cornelius Brain 1830 & Anne Tommey Brain 1835. Cornelius Brain 1830 being the son of Cornelius Brain 1790 & Ann. Anne Tommey Brain being the daughter of Thomas Brain 1806 & Mary Ann Bennett 1802.

1871 Census Walford
Cornelius Brain 40 Miller Ruardean
Anne T 35 H Mansell
Francis W T 15 H Mansell

1881 Census
Dwelling:
Census Place: (Westbury On Severn) East Dean, Gloucester, England
Source: FHL Film 1341609 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2522 Folio 70 Page 32
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Francis W. BRAIN U 25 M Hope Mansell, Hereford, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Mining Engineer (Certificate Of Competence)
Ann T. BRAIN M 45 F Hope Mansell, Hereford, England
Rel: Mother
Occ: Farmers Wife
Benjamin PRICE M 67 M Monmouth, England
Rel: Servant
Occ: Labourer
Ellen PRICE M 67 F Monmouth, England
Rel: Servant
Occ: Dom Servt

1891 Census
RG12/2005/25
Francis W T Brain 36 Colliery Manager
Dorothy A 39 ? Montgomeryshire
Dorothy A 5 East Dean
Margaretta 3 East Dean
+ 3 servants & boarder

1901 Census Westbury on Trym
Francis W T Brain 45 Coal Owner, Electrical Fuse Manager
Civil Engineer Hope Mansell
Dorothy A Brain 49 Montgomery
Dorothy A dtr 15 East Dean
Margeretta P dtr 12 East Dean
Margaretta P Roberts sister in law Dorrington Shropshire
Eliza Watkins 50 Visitor
Emily Hopkins servant 27
Edith Beech 22 servant
Lewis Roberts boarder widower 81

An extract from some of my notes for this obviously very clever man :

Francis William Thomas (Frank) Brain had been associated with the use of electric floodlights on the Severn Bridge in 1879 where they had been used to enable construction work to continue at night to make the best use of the tides. After use on the bridge, the apparatus, consisting of a couple of powerful lamps supplied by a Gramme machine, was re-erected at Trafalgar on the surface to light the colliery yard, and a football match was even played at night! Frank Brain was also connected with the Electric Blasting Apparatus Company who made fuses for simultaneous shot firing underground, and had buildings close to Trafalgar Colliery.
Electricity was also used at Trafalgar when the first underground pumping plant was installed in December 1882. The installation at Trafalgar was the first recorded use of electric power in mines. The equipment consisted of a Gramme machine on the surface driven by a steam engine and a Siemens dynamo used as a 11/2 horse power motor belted to a pump underground. The Gramme machine still exists today, preserved in the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. It attained such success that three additional plants were erected in May 1887 and these did the larger part of the pumping.

Jim Ashton

Sir Francis Brain

by LOTTABOTTLE, Thursday, July 10, 2008, 08:52 (5778 days ago) @ jimashton

Thank you jim you have answered all my questions about Francis even though he is not one of my Brain family i enjoyed reading about him .I spent ages last night reading the history information that Slowhands sent me regards carol

(Sir) Francis BRAIN 1855 Hope Mansell in 1861

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, July 10, 2008, 11:09 (5778 days ago) @ jimashton

Name: Francis William Thomas Brain
Year of Registration: 1855
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Ross
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Hereford and Worcester
Volume: 6a
Page: 371

Corneluis Brain abt 1831 Hope Mansel, Herefordshire, England Head Llangarren, Herefordshire Farmer
Ann J Brain abt 1836 Hope Mansel, Herefordshire, England Wife Llangarren, Herefordshire
Francis W J Brain abt 1856 Hope Mansel, Herefordshire, England Son Llangarren, Herefordshire

--

Sir Francis Brain b1855

by Roughyedbach @, Oldham, Lancashire, Sunday, June 10, 2012, 22:06 (4347 days ago) @ LOTTABOTTLE

Hi, just trying to tie up a few loose ends and seem unable to find the spouse of Sir Francis William Thomas Brain b1850. Any help gratefully received.

Sir Francis William Thomas BRAIN 1855 - 1921

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, June 10, 2012, 22:10 (4347 days ago) @ Roughyedbach

Hi, just trying to tie up a few loose ends and seem unable to find the spouse of Sir Francis William Thomas Brain b1850. Any help gratefully received.

Name: Francis William T Brain
Name: Dorothy Anna Roberts
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1884
Registration district: Axbridge
Inferred County: Somerset
Volume Number: 5c
Page Number: 1026

Name: Francis W T Brain
Birth Date: abt 1856
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1921
Age at Death: 65
Registration district: Bristol
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 18

--

Sir Francis William Thomas BRAIN 1855 - 1921

by Roughyedbach @, Oldham, Lancashire, Sunday, June 10, 2012, 22:17 (4347 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks Slowhands - you are a hero!

RSS Feed of thread