James MORSE - Milking Mead (General)

by j hargreaves @, Wednesday, July 09, 2008, 01:06 (5771 days ago)

My g g grandfather, James Morse 1853 - 1942, lived at Milcombe Head, Gatcombe with his wife Annis Wyman 1855 - 1943. can anyone tell me if the house is still standing or where could i locate more information about its history.

James MORSE - Milking Mead, Gatcombe/ Hagloe

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, July 09, 2008, 02:03 (5771 days ago) @ j hargreaves

In 1901 your James is a Shipyard labourer at what looks like "Milkam Head"

I'm sure this is Milking Mead near Milkmaid Rock

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

co ords 368500 205900

next to Gatcombe Wood and the limekilns

In the late 18th century and the early 19th Gatcombe was a centre of the timber trade. During the Napoleonic Wars it was one of the main shipping points for the oak timber sent from the Forest to the naval dockyards. (fn. 94) A navy purveyor living at Blakeney in 1801 (fn. 95) and a timber haulier of Etloe mentioned in 1809 were among those employed in that trade. (fn. 96) At a place called Milking Mead, a narrow coombe in the cliffs just upstream from Gatcombe, a timber yard belonged to the Oatfield Farm estate in the early 1790s when there was a wharf and warehouse adjoining; (fn. 97) in 1843 a small dwelling there was described as formerly a barkhouse (fn. 98) and had presumably been used by the Thomases in the Irish trade. William Ambrose, owner of Oatfield and the Hagloe estate from 1810, traded as a timber merchant (fn. 99) and had the yard in hand in the 1830s. Another, larger yard, called Gatcombe timber yard, occupied a field on the west side of the hamlet; (fn. 1) a gully in the cliffs enabled the timber to be lowered to the water's edge, where a small stone-built, high-water quay was constructed sometime during the early or mid 19th century. (fn. 2) In the early 19th century Gatcombe timber yard was occupied by a Chepstow timber company, which was succeeded as tenant by William Ambrose; in 1831 he sublet it to the Commissioners of the Navy. (fn. 3) There was another yard at the south end of the parish where timber was collected for shipping from Purton. (fn. 4) At Milking Mead a ruined limekiln survived next to the former timber yard in 1989, recalling another trade once carried on. (fn. 5)

From: 'Awre', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 14-46. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23250. Date accessed: 09 July 2008.

Shipbuilding was established in the parish by 1608 when shipwrights were living in Blakeney and Hagloe and a ship carpenter in Etloe; (fn. 8) a shipwright of Blakeney was mentioned in 1662. (fn. 9) All were perhaps employed at Gatcombe, where several vessels were built in the mid 17th century. (fn. 10) In 1787 J. B. Thomas and a partner owned a shipbuilding yard, probably at Milking Mead, and launched a brig of over 300 tons. (fn. 11) In 1804 when Thomas offered the yard for letting he claimed that vesels of over 600 tons had been built there. (fn. 12) Snows of 198 and 129 tons built in 1803 and 1834 respectively were probably more typical of the vessels built at Gatcombe. The latter boat was built by James and Thomas Shaw, (fn. 13) who in 1839 occupied a building below Gatcombe timber yard, close to the site of the quay mentioned above. (fn. 14) Members of the Shaw family were still boatbuilders in the parish in the 1850s, (fn. 15) though the railway line presumably prevented the building of all but very small craft at Gatcombe. In 1851 there was also a boatyard at Hamstalls, where a shipwright Charles Cooper was employing 18 workers; (fn. 16) it apparently closed soon afterwards.

From: 'Awre', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 14-46. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23250. Date accessed: 09 July 2008.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

James MORSE - Milking Mead, Gatcombe/ Hagloe

by Gary2805, Thursday, March 26, 2020, 20:06 (1492 days ago) @ slowhands

My father worked for a man in Gatcombe a Mr Chris Morse, he owned what was known as the stopper boats that were used to fish for salmon. He trained my father in the art of maintaining this boats with him. After his passing his daughter Ann Baylis (nee Morse) and her husband Raymond Baylis carried on the tradition with my dad and a man nickname was Granch, from Yorkley repairing them over the winter months.
There were four boats, black bottomed with a light blue top. The boat yard was at the very end of the road in Gatcombe, every year they were launched under the railway arches on the spring high tide, floated down to their fishing mornings in Purton. If you want more info if this is any good to you please let me know

James MORSE

by j hargreaves @, Saturday, November 29, 2008, 08:50 (5627 days ago) @ j hargreaves

I know the name morse is common in the forest of dean but if anyone has any info on my great great grandparents or their children i would be extremely grateful.

James Morse born 1853 died 1942
annis wyman born 1855 died 1943

They lived at Milcombe Head Gatcombe which we have had trouble locating it looks like a substantial building in approx 1910 (we have a photo).

Many thanks

a gloucestershire lass

James Morse m Annis Wyman 1874 Thornbury

by ChrisW @, Saturday, November 29, 2008, 11:04 (5627 days ago) @ j hargreaves

From FreeBMD:

Marriages Jun 1874

MORSE James Thornbury 6a 394
Wyman Annis Thornbury 6a 394

From Scribe's Alcove (Woodford is nearer Berkeley than Thornbury)

MARRIAGE: 18 May 1874 at Berkeley

GROOM BRIDE
NAME: James Morse Annis Wyman
ABODE: Woodford Woodford
FATHER: James Morse Lancelot Wyman
FATHER'S OCCUPATION: Labourer Labourer

WITNESSES: Lancelot Wyman, Tryphena Ingram
-------------------------------------------------------

At All Saints, Stone (next to Woodford)

NAME: Daniel James Morse BAPTISED: 11 Apr 1875 at Stone

FATHER: James MOTHER: Annis
--------------------------------------------------------

Love this one!

NAME: Faith Hope Charity Morse BAPTISED: 7 Jul 1878 at Stone

NAME: Albert Thomas Morse BAPTISED: 22 Aug 1880 at Stone

------------------------------------------------

NAME: Tryphena Elizabeth Morse BAPTISED: 7 Jun 1885 at Stone

----------------------------------------------

NAME: Charles Morse BAPTISED: 3 Feb 1889 at Stone

--------------------------------------------------

NAME: Ethel Blanche Morse BAPTISED: 18 May 1890 at Stone

--------------------------------------------------------------

NAME: Rose Maria Ashur Morse BAPTISED: 23 Nov 1892 at Stone

-------------------------------------------------------

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Saturday, November 29, 2008, 11:26 (5627 days ago) @ ChrisW

1891 Engand Census RG12/2004; Folio: 42; Page: 1

Civil Parish of Awre

James Morse - Head - M - 37 - Dock Labourer - Glos. Awre
Annis Morse - Wife - M - 37 - Glos. Berkeley
Daniel Morse - Son - 16 - Bakers Boy - Glos. Berkeley
Albert F Morse - Son - 11 - Carters Boy - Glos. Awre
Tryphena E Morse - Daur - 6 - Scholar - Glos. Awre
Charles Morse - Son - - Glos. Awre
Ethel Morse - Daur - 1 - Glos. Awre

1901 England Census RG13/2417; Folio: ; Page: 14

Civil Parish of Awre

James Morse - Head - M - 46 - Labourer in Shipyard - Awre Glos
Annie Morse - Wife - M - 47 - Berkeley Glos
Albert Morse - Son - S - 21 - G W Ry Platelayer - Awre Glos
Charles Morse - Son - 13 - Errand Boy - Awre Gos
Blanche Morse - Daur - 10 - Awre Glos
Rose Morse - Daur - 8 - Awre Glos
Edith Morse - Daur - 4 - Awre Glos

Paul - before you duplicate - baptisms on marriage posting!

by ChrisW @, Saturday, November 29, 2008, 11:29 (5627 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

See marriage posting - baptisms at Stone nr Berkeley.

by j hargreaves @, Saturday, November 29, 2008, 11:35 (5627 days ago) @ ChrisW

thanks for all that. i had found most of that information i have just come to a bit of a halt with siblings getting married and children names. my g grandfather was charles morse.

i was hoping someone would know of them. apparently they james and annis were married a long time 60-65 years and were in the local paper. do you know the name of the paper in the area during the ww11.

you are very quick with your replies, very much appreciated.

gloucestershire lass

Siblings of Charles Morse b1888

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Saturday, November 29, 2008, 12:09 (5627 days ago) @ j hargreaves

Record_ID: 1704
Entry_Number: 135
Year: 1900
Month: Aug
Day: 25
Grooms_Surname: MORSE
Grooms_Forenames: Daniel
Grooms_Age: 25
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Plate Layer
Grooms_Residence: Blakeney
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Morse
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: James
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Fisherman
Brides_Surname: HUGHES
Brides_Forenames: Sarah
Brides_Age: 24
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Residence: Blakeney
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Hughes
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: James
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Plate Layer
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: T[?] Morse
Witness_2: W. Hooper
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: A.D. Pringle
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes: First witness could be T or F Morse
Register_Reference: P50 IN 1/5
Page_Number: 68
Parish_Chapel: Blakeney
Soundex_Groom: M620
Soundex_Bride: H220

Record_ID: 24843
Entry_Number: 143
Year: 1901
Month: Dec
Day: 25
Grooms_Surname: MORSE
Grooms_Forenames: Albert Thomas
Grooms_Age: 21
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Plate-layer
Grooms_Residence: Blakeney
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Morse
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: James
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Labourer
Brides_Surname: BETTERTON
Brides_Forenames: Elizabeth Sophia
Brides_Age: 21
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Residence: Blakeney
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Betterton
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: John
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Postman
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Charles John Betterton
Witness_2: Kate Ann Betterton
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Edward Roberts
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P50 IN 1/5
Page_Number: 72
Soundex_Groom: M620
Soundex_Bride: B363

Record_ID: 3128
Entry_Number: 137
Year: 1897
Month: Jan
Day: 31
Parents_Surname: MORSE
Child_Forenames: Edith Anice[?]
Fathers_Forenames: James
Mothers_Forenames: Anice[?]
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Blakeney
Officiating_Minister: A.D. Pringle
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P50 IN 1/4
Page_Number: 16
Soundex: M620

by helen adair, Sunday, April 12, 2009, 10:23 (5493 days ago) @ j hargreaves

My G G Grandmother was Tryphena Elizabeth Morse. Her mother and father were James and Annis Morse, nee Wyman. James and Annis lived at Milcombe Head, Gatcombe. I carried out a search against the name Morse associated with Gatcombe, Lydney, Etloe, Blakeney, etc and came across the information in italics below. Looking at the various occupations my G G Grandfather James Morse had, dock labourer, fisherman, waterman, shipyard labourer, plus the various birth locations of some of James and Annis‘s children, Gatcombe, Blakeney, Etloe, it all seems to fit somehow.

What do you all think? Was this Charles Morse a brother of James? I guess the Court House at Gatcombe was quite a large dwelling, which I believe is still standing? Jackie states that Milcombe Head was also a substantial building so guess the family were fairly wealthy? May be a bit of a red herring but thought that it was worth bringing to everyone’s attention.

'A fishery belonging to Etloe Duchy manor in 1283 (fn. 68) presumably comprised rights below Gatcombe. The right to use two stop nets (large nets operated from boats held on cables broadside to the tide) was confirmed to the owner of the Duchy manor in 1866; one net was used off Purton and the other between Purton and Gatcombe. (fn. 69) From 1878 the rights belonging to Etloe Duchy, together with rights of the Bathurst family to use stop nets in Wellhouse Bay below Purton, in Lydney, were leased by Charles Morse, owner of the Court House at Gatcombe. His descendants, who later bought the rights, worked the fishery from Gatcombe for the next 100 years, and in the 1920s owned 10 stopping boats. The boats, which were built and repaired in outbuildings at the Court House, usually took up their station in Wellhouse Bay, where a building called the fish house provided accommodation for the fishermen during the season. Most of the salmon caught were sent by rail to London. Three boats were kept at Gatcombe by Mrs. Ann Bayliss (nee Morse) in 1989 but they had not been used for about three years due to difficulties in getting them repaired and renewing the nets. (fn. 70) In 1922 over 70 men from Blakeney and the surrounding area fished with lave nets off Gatcombe, selling their catch to the Morses, (fn. 71) and a few men still used lave nets there in 1989.'

From: 'Awre', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 14-46. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23250&strquery=morse Date accessed: 12 April 2009.

by helen adair, Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 22:23 (5309 days ago) @ helen adair

Jackie,

do you know anything about the siblings of James Morse, Elizabeth and Charles's father? Did you see my earlier posting on this thread dated 12 April, what do you think? As I say it may be a bit of a red herring but worth looking into maybe?

Helen

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Saturday, November 29, 2008, 11:48 (5627 days ago) @ ChrisW

Thanks,

I'm trying to keep up!!

by ChrisW @, Saturday, November 29, 2008, 12:05 (5627 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

You're doing a grand job!

Milkham Head Cottage

by unknown, Saturday, February 25, 2012, 11:25 (4444 days ago) @ ChrisW

Hi , am new to this ! Hope thyis tread is still live . I live in Etloe / Gatcombe and I live at Milkham head cottage ! wonder if this is where your looking for , there are lime kilns in the garden , if so I would love to see the pics and would love to find out anything about where I live x x

Milkham Head Cottage

by j hargreaves @, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 16:16 (4443 days ago) @ unknown

Good afternoon, I have sent you an e-mail.

RSS Feed of thread