William 'Billo' NASH, 1873-1954 Ellwood- the one armed miner (General)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, November 15, 2008, 07:19 (5648 days ago)

Following a recent article in the Forest Review ( scan to be sumbitted)
about "Billo"'s false arm being found and donated to the Miners Arms Sling.

William 'Billo' Nash, worked at the Flour Mills Colliery near Bream as a stoker
on the Lancashire Boilers and then as switchboard attendant in the powerhouse,
and is famed as the one armed miner ( and musician)

Year: 1874
Month: Jan
Day: 1
Parents_Surname: NASH
Child_Forenames: William
Fathers_Forenames: [not stated]
Mothers_Forenames: Susan
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Ellwood
Officiating_Minister: H L Perry Vicar
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P88 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 44
Parish_Chapel: Clearwell

Year: 1809
Month: Nov
Day: 2
Grooms_Surname: NASH
Grooms_Forenames: Richard
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Hundred of St Briavels
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: JAMES
Brides_Forenames: Mary
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Hundred of St Briavels
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Licence
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: He signs she marks
Witness_1: James James
Witness_2: Thos Bond
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Tay[lo]r Matt[he]w Procter vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/10
Page_Number: 147
Parish_Chapel: Newland

1841 Clay Lane End
Richard Nash abt 1781 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Mary Nash abt 1786 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Ann Nash abt 1811 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
George Nash abt 1821 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Mary Nash abt 1826 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Ruben Nash abt 1821 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire
Susan Nash abt 1832 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest Gloucestershire

1851 Sling Pit
Richard Nash abt 1779 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean Gloucestershire
Mary Nash abt 1783 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean Gloucestershire
Susan Nash abt 1832 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean Gloucestershire

Susan Nash abt 1832 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean, Gloucestershire
Ruben William Nash abt 1858 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Thomas Nash abt 1860 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire

1871 Ellwood
Susan Nash 39 West dean Char woman
Auther Nash 4 West dean
John R Nash 3 Months West dean
William Jones 40 West dean Carpenter

Susan Nash abt 1832 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean, Gloucestershire
Aurther Nash abt 1867 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
John Nash abt 1871 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
William Nash abt 1873 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire

John Nash abt 1871 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
William Nash abt 1873 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
William R Nash abt 1858 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire

1901 Sling
Susan Nash abt 1832 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean, Monmouthshire
William Nash abt 1874 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Monmouthshire

Name: William Nash
Name: Fanny Edith Worgan
Year of Registration: 1907
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 43

NASH WILLIAM M 1872 39 Monmouth Monmouthshire
NASH FANNY EDITH F 1871 40 Monmouth Monmouthshire
NASH ENA M F 1909 2 Monmouth Monmouthshire
NASH SUSANA F 1831 80 Monmouth Monmouthshire

Year: 1916
Month: Apr
Day: 15
Surname: NASH
Forenames: Susan
Residence: Sling
Age_at_death: 84 years
Officiating_Minister: W.Robinson
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P88 IN 1/8
Page_No: 23

Name: William Nash
Birth Date: abt 1873
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1954
Age at Death: 81
Registration district: Forest of Dean
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 7b
Page: 401

I have a feeling this is his son Reuben .....
who later ran Fred Watkins Engineering.

Year: 1915
Month: Jul
Day: 11
Child_Forenames: William Reuben
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Fanny Edith
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Sling
Officiating_Minister: W Robinson
Memoranda: Jun 3:15
Notes: The date in the Memoranda column is probably the birth date. Page Nos 90 - 99 were incorrectly numbered. The page number used here is the amended number.
Register_Reference: P88 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 93

and ...
http://www.nashfamilyhistory.com/nashnewpage.htm

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

William 'Billo' NASH, 1873 - the one armed miner

by Helen78, Sunday, November 16, 2008, 08:23 (5647 days ago) @ slowhands

Hello slowhands
Very new to this, but I am Billo Nashs Great Grandaughter. Yes you are correct Rueben was his son and he had a daughter Ena Mary (my grandmother), who married my Grandfather Charles Howard Morgan. If you are interested in any more info, I can find out more from my father and his cousin (Rubens daughter) who has researched the Nash side of our family.

Welcome

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, November 16, 2008, 09:18 (5647 days ago) @ Helen78

Welcome to the board.....

--

William 'Billo' NASH - Newspaper Clipping

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, November 17, 2008, 18:48 (5645 days ago) @ Helen78

Helen

If you have any further information we would be delighted if you would add it to this thread.

Slowhands has just sent us the recent Newspaper Clipping from the Forest and Wye Valley Review about Billo's Famous Arm being on display as part of mining memorabilia at the Miners Arms, Whitecroft.

Billo Nash Famous Arm.pdf

Documents and Articles
Newspaper Clipping Section
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/resources/documents-and-articles

by andrewprice, Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 20:32 (5644 days ago) @ Helen78

Hello Helen
My name is Andy Price I an descended from Richard Nash, one of the 4 brothers who we have traced a large number of "Nashes" to if it helps in your quest for information I have gedcom files or legacy files that you could have detailing the relationship of over 600 people

by Keith Nash, Friday, September 18, 2009, 11:33 (5341 days ago) @ andrewprice

Hello Andy, My name is Keith Nash, also descended from the same line as you. My grandfather was John Richard NASH, b1871, and he was a slightly older brother of Billo.
I have been researching the family, and have hit the wall. Both Billo and JR Nash were children of Susannah NASH b1832. JR NASH was fathered by William Jones, who was a lodger with Susan according to 1871 census. He may also have been dad to Billo.
I can't find anything about William Jones. He almost seems to have passed in and out of Susan's life leaving little trace????, and seems to have nothing to track him by.
Would welcome anything you have regarding this matter.
Email keith.nash AT btinternet.com

by Matt Nash, Saturday, September 19, 2009, 17:23 (5340 days ago) @ Keith Nash

Keith,

Andy and I are members of The Nashes of the Forest of Dean family history forum on Yahoo! Groups, a group of Nashes scattered around the world who have descended from various FOD Nashes. Most of us, including Andy and I (and you), descend from the uncertain parents of Billo's grandparents (Richard Nash (c1778-1864) & Mary James). I am descended from Richard's brother John Nash (c1776-1855) & Sarah Jones.

About 25 of the descendents got together for a family reunion at the Miners Inn in Sling back in April while I was in England for a conference.

Although the Yahoo group hasn't had many postings lately (I've been busy at work and preparing for our first child), we invite you to join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nash_fod/ .

Best wishes,

Matt Nash
Durham, North Carolina

Hello Matt, I have been emailing you recently.

by MJHansen2012 @, Wednesday, May 02, 2012, 03:06 (4384 days ago) @ Matt Nash

All quiet on this Nash blog since 2009 I see.
I am a descendant of Richard Nash [1778-1864]and Mary nee James. Perhaps this line could be called the 'James' Nashes?
Richard and Mary's daughter, Eliza [baptised 5 Aug 1821], married John Smith 1842 at Hewelsfield. Witnesses: Rueben Nash and Elizabeth Jenkins.
Eliza's name is not with the family at Clay Lane End on the 1841 Census.
Greetings to all Nashes, from Marion J Hansen in New Zealand.

Looking for parents & siblings of Eliza Nash b.1821 Bream.

by MJHansen2012 @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 04:27 (4098 days ago) @ MJHansen2012

Eliza's father was Richard, a miner. Mother's name not known. At Eliza's marriage to John Smith 24 Dec 1842 in Hewelsfield,the witnesses were: Rueben Nash and Elizabeth Jenkins.

Eliza Nash b.1821 Bream.

by MJHansen2012 @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 05:41 (4098 days ago) @ MJHansen2012

I have the parents of Eliza as Richard Nash b. 1781, Mary James [m. 1809 Newland]; the siblings as Anne 1810, Richard 1812, John 1813, William 1813, James 1815, Reuben 1817, Mary Ann 1823, Eliza herself [my grt grt grandmother] 1821, Susannah 1831.
These names clash with others I have seen on this forum.
Thanks for your help.

Richard NASH and Mary JAMES

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 06:54 (4098 days ago) @ MJHansen2012

Eliza's father was Richard, a miner. Mother's name not known. At Eliza's marriage to John Smith 24 Dec 1842 in Hewelsfield,the witnesses were: Rueben Nash and Elizabeth Jenkins.

Year: 1821
Month: Aug
Day: 5
Child_Forenames: Eliza
Fathers_Forenames: Richard
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Forest of Dean
Officiating_Minister: Hen. G. Poole Minister
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P57 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 40
Parish_Chapel: Bream

very probable:-

Year: 1809
Month: Nov
Day: 2
Grooms_Surname: NASH
Grooms_Forenames: Richard
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Hundred of St Briavels
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: JAMES
Brides_Forenames: Mary
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Hundred of St Briavels
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Licence
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: He signs she marks
Witness_1: James James
Witness_2: Thos Bond
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Tay[lo]r Matt[he]w Procter vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/10
Page_Number: 147
Parish_Chapel: Newland

--

Looking for parents & siblings of Eliza NASH b.1821 Bream.

by man2 @, Newport Pagnell, Bucks, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:14 (4097 days ago) @ slowhands

I am also a descendent of Richard Nash and Mary James, and for some time I was stuck on Mary's forebears. However, I noticed that Witness-2 in the marriage details as given by Slowhands was James James, who may be assumed to be a relative of Mary James.

It so happens that there is a will for James James, dated 1867, in which he refers to "my Nephew William Nash (son of my late sister Mary Nash)" and "my Nephew John Nash (son of my late sister Mary)". The will also includes references to deceased brothers John and Richard, and a living brother William. It also mentions land
in Bream that belonged to his father.

I have checked births in Bream around the time the family might have been born, and the only parents that had this combination of children are James James and Martha Price, married in Newland 26 August 1773. On the baptism records he is referred to as Jemmy (and variations).

So the mother of Eliza Nash is Mary James, daughter of Martha and Jemmy James and baptised in Bream on 28 August 1784.

Mike

Looking for parents & siblings of Eliza NASH b.1821 Bream.

by MJHansen2012 @, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 10:53 (4096 days ago) @ man2

Mike, thank you for the exciting info. I did not think I would be able to find the parents of Mary James! Very interesting and helpful. Great that we share ancestry further back. It was a thrill to find your message tonight.

by MJHansen2012 @, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 10:49 (4096 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands, thank you, I am delighted with your reply. I had forgotten to tick the
email notification box! So was thrilled to find your reply today.

by royv @, Wednesday, March 27, 2024, 01:54 (37 days ago) @ slowhands

My name is Roy VANNINI. I am descended from Richard and Mary through the following line

James NASH 1815 -1887 m Mary JONES abt 1818 - before1881

Richard NASH 1853 - 1907 m Elizabeth NASH 1853 - 1919

Richard NASH 1878 - 1958 m Kate BURLEY 1876 - 1928

Richard and Kate emigrated to New Zealand with their then six living children in 1913 Ruth below was the only child born in New Zealand.

Ruth Kathleen NASH 1920 - 1994 m Roy Corti VANNINI 1897 - 1980

Roy VANNINI 1945

My wife and I are coming to England in June and will be in Forest of Dean between 16 August and 23 August if, as I believe we are related I wonder if we could

I do not know if you are or were aware of the New Zealand family. If we are related then I can provide details of them all.

Many thanks and look forward to your response.

Roy Vannini

RSS Feed of thread