Upper Case and Lower Case letters (Announce)

by jimashton @, Saturday, January 17, 2009, 05:14 (5581 days ago)

In response to using Upper Case and Lower Case letters in: A Reminder of Posting Etiquette

David

William Camden 1551/1623 wrote a book "Britannia" - see Wikipedia. This is currently the basis of a very interesting programme on BBC1 Television in the UK. The presenter Nicholas Crane is walking along the principle areas featured in the book. On a recent episode he visited the publishers of William Camden’s 1586 book in Oxford.
He was asked to replicate the type cast method using metal letters as they were at the time. He took several minutes to arrange one line and considering the book was around 500 pages, tried to estimate how long the book took to print.
Whilst arranging the letters he was shown that the large or Capital letters were in cases on the top of a rack, the smaller letters were in cases on a lower level of the rack, immediately beneath the large letters. This is why letters have ever since been described as “Upper Case” and “Lower Case”
As Michael Caine would have said “There aren’t many people that know that.” now there are a few more !!

Jim Ashton

Upper Case and Lower Case letters

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, January 19, 2009, 23:02 (5578 days ago) @ jimashton

As Michael Caine would have said “There aren’t many people that know that.” now there are a few more !!

Jim

I'm one of the many people that did not know.
Now there is at least one more that does know.

Upper Case and Lower Case letters

by ellieperry @, Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 02:58 (5578 days ago) @ admin

I didn't know that either. I find it interesting.It makes sense.

RSS Feed of thread