Advice needed re: Memoranda notes on a burial record (General)

by Joanne, Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 03:00 (5568 days ago)

Hi

I have now found Hubert Roberts and Maria Roberts (nee Smith) in the burials on this site. They were my 2XG Grandparents.

8 Apr 1942 - Hubert Roberts, Quarryman aged 66, Interment, Coleford Cemetery,
Memoranda: (1) 1 High Street Westbury On Severn (2) Section B Adult Grave (3) J 13 (4) Consecrated (5) Westbury On Severn

10 Apr 1942 - Maria Roberts wife of Hubert Roberts age 67, Interment, Coleford Cemetery, - Memoranda: (1) Elm Cottage, Broadwell, Near Coleford, (2) Section B Adult Grave (3) L 13 (4) Consecrated (5) West Dean

I am confused over what each part of the memoranda's mean. Were they both buried at Coleford Cemetery or was it just the service that was held there? if so was Hubert buried in Westbury and Maria somewhere in West Dean? Please note that the dates are only two days apart.

Any advice welcomed

Coleford Cemetery Burials

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 03:35 (5568 days ago) @ Joanne

This is what the numbers represent in the Memoranda.

(1) Place of Death
(2) Burial Section
(3) Grave Number
(4) Type of Ground
(5) Parish Removed from

Coleford Cemetery Burials

by Joanne, Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 03:43 (5568 days ago) @ admin

Brilliant thankyou, I think I got it lol! So they were both buried at Coleford Cemetery, Hubert from the parish of Westbury on Severn and Maria from West Dean.
1 High Street Westbury On Severn - what was the that? a workhouse or hospital? I ask only becasue he doesnt appear o be my only relative to have lived there when they died and I noticed whilst looking through the burials this address has been given for others too.

Jo

Westbury-on-Severn Workhouse, High Street

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 03:53 (5568 days ago) @ Joanne

Your guess of there being a Workhouse at the address seems to be correct.

Westbury-on-Severn Workhouse
In 1789-90, a parish workhouse was erected on the west side of the High Street at the north of Westbury.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?WestburyOnSevern/WestburyOnSevern.shtml

by Gordon @, Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 10:21 (5568 days ago) @ admin

I had a great aunt who died in the Westbury-on-Severn workhouse during the 1940s. I was told that latterly the workhouse became a sort of cottage-type hospital for people who were ill but had nobody to care for them. I am searching for a photo of some nurses at the 'hospital' taken during this period.

Gordon.

by Roger Griffiths @, Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 10:53 (5568 days ago) @ Gordon

I did Google for a picture, but nothing came up. My Greatgrandmothers father died there in 1907, a long liver having been born in 1817. I don't know why, because there were plenty of family around. I searched the Gloucester County Records for the Westbury Union but could find anything about him or his death. He had been a policeman at Newnham in 1840's/50's. Warrant No. 300, Gloucester Constabulary, if I remember correctly.

Roger Griffiths

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, October 08, 2018, 15:30 (2041 days ago) @ Gordon

Not quite your period Gordon, but here's a photo of some nurses at Westbury in around 1925, when it was thought to be more of a hospital than anything else.
https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Newnham/Westbury-upon-severn-workhouse.htm

Westbury-on-Severn Workhouse

by James Nelmes, Thursday, February 12, 2009, 22:54 (5565 days ago) @ Joanne

I remember the workhouse building as a pupil at Westbury School in the 1960s. By that time it had become an old folks home which we used to visit at Christmas to sing carols for the residents.

It was a large, imposing, red brick building and was still referred to as "the workhouse" by local people. It was demolished to make way for the housing development which now stands next to the school.

James

Advice needed re: Memoranda notes on a burial record

by Joanne, Thursday, February 19, 2009, 01:51 (5559 days ago) @ Joanne

Hi guys, just thought you would like to know that I ordered death certificates for Hubert and Maria and here is what they said:

When/Where: 7 April 1942 Elm Cottage Brodwell West Dean
Name/Surname: Maria Roberts
Sex: Female
Cause: 1(a) Cerebral Haemorrhage
(b) Arteriosclorosis
M. Roberts daughter-in-law was present at death at Farm Row Broadwell. Death was registered on 7 April 1942 and the registrar was E. R. Pearce.

When/Where: 4 May 1942 Public Institution Westbury-on-Severn
Name/Surname: Hubert Roberts
Sex: Male
Occupation: Of Elm Cottage Broadwell West Dean a Retired Quarryman
Cause: Myocaridal degeneration following pulmonary fibrosis due to advanced silicosis
Certificate was recieved from Maurice Frederick Carter the Coroner for Forest of Dean District of Gloucestershire and an Inquest was held on 12 May 1942
Death was registered 15 May 1942 and the registrar was Howard Paling.

As you can see their death dates show they died a month apart with Maria dying in April and Hubert in May. The burial records say, however that they were buried only two days apart on the 8th April for Maria and the 10th April for Hubert. How can this be? If someone could please look at the burials for these two people to ascertain the correct burial I would be grateful as lol Hubert could not have been buried in April if he didnt die until May !!! lol!!!

JO

RSS Feed of thread