Civil War (General)

by Sam Hale @, Aylburton, Thursday, December 15, 2005, 17:41 (6715 days ago)

Hi, does anyone have any information on the Forest of Dean during the civil war. I am researching for a possible dissertation at warwick university. I am interested in allegiances. I know most of the background information on the Wyntours/ Winters. It would be interesting to find out if the independence of the forest people and the freeminers made them be parliamentarian. Any references would be welcome, even names, if you know people in your family tree in the civil war. Thanks for your time.

Civil War - local archaeology publication

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, December 16, 2005, 14:56 (6714 days ago) @ Sam Hale

http://www.deanarchaeology.org.uk/publications.html#war

Civil War in Dean - History & Archaeology of the Civil War in Dean & W. Glos

A historical overview; local engagements; the use of the bow during the Civil War - historical evidence
enhanced with a look at both the surviving Civil War sites in the Forest of Dean and West Gloucestershire,
as well as the numerous finds from the area.

Civil War - New Regard article

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, December 17, 2005, 18:28 (6713 days ago) @ slowhands

If you can get your hands on a back copy or via a Library.......

New Regard Vol 14 Page 43,

"The Civil War In the Forest of Dean, 1642-1646" by Peter E. Bloomfield

http://homepages.which.net/~keith.walker3/NEWLHSopening.htm

Civil War - New Regard article

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, February 21, 2008, 11:16 (5917 days ago) @ slowhands

Again thanks for this speedy and useful response. I don't know how you find things so quickly!!!

Civil War - local archaeology publication

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, February 21, 2008, 11:12 (5917 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you for your efficient and speedy response.
It is much appreciated.

Civil War

by Giles Colcheser @, Saturday, December 17, 2005, 16:32 (6713 days ago) @ Sam Hale

I have some information on the Colchester family of Westbury Court during the civil war. Some of this is from primary sources. If this interests you, please contact me, and I will try to sort out what might be of interest.
Giles Colchester
reearching family COLCHESTER, any time, any spelling, any place

Civil War

by Sam Hale @, Monday, January 09, 2006, 20:58 (6690 days ago) @ Giles Colcheser

Thanks for your reply. Any information would be great. I am looking into questioning allegiances in the civil war. Much revisionist historiography on the subject has questioned the pattern of allegiances and i would like to use real examples to see the reality of the situation

thanks

my e-mail is hamsale@talk21.com

Civil War

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, February 21, 2008, 11:11 (5917 days ago) @ Sam Hale

My knoweldge of the Rook family's involvement is only what was handed down orally I have no written records. Though, because the generations are so wide in my family I have no reason to doubt the story handed down to my mother through her great auntie that the Rook(e) family, or my branch of it at least, were on King Charles' side and were not Roundheads. It ties in with their religion too as they were recusants (ie. R.C.) and thus much more likely to be on King Charles' side. Please let me know if your research throws anything up about them. Other family names are Stead/Steade/Steed and variations and Prosser, Pritchard and Morgan.

Civil War

by Ann Orr @, Friday, February 17, 2006, 06:44 (6651 days ago) @ Sam Hale

My family lived at 20 High Street Aylburton until 1953. As a child I was always told that when Oliver Cromwell went through that area he stabled his horse at that address. The house was named Vine Tree House and it was built in the sixteenth century. I understand that this fact was recorded on the house deeds but I do not think they are available now as I think my aunt kept the ones with that information and I have no idea what happened to them.

Civil War

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, February 21, 2008, 11:30 (5917 days ago) @ Ann Orr

This is very interesting and I am now going to look at the map to see where your village is in relation to Coleford.

RSS Feed of thread