Henry Eagles - Gloucestershire Constabulary 1800's (General)

by Paul Beard @, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 13:25 (5005 days ago)

Henry was my great grandfather and as a Pc was stationed in what is now Littledean Jail. He moved to Woolaston in about 1845 and was the first officer to occupy the then police house on the A48.

I have a collection of Gloucestershire Constabulary memorabilia but am one badge short and that is the Queen Victoria Crown helmet plate that Henry would have worn when he joined the force.

If anyone has a QVC helmet plate that they are prepared to accept offers for, or any photographs of Henry in his uniform, the old police station at the jail or the police house on the A48 then I would love to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to read this message.

Henry Eagles - Gloucestershire Constabulary 1800's

by Roger Griffiths @, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 14:07 (5005 days ago) @ Paul Beard

You say 1845. My greatgrandmothers father was a Gloucestershire policeman at Newnham, warrant number 300. They did'nt wear helmets then, top hats and blue tailcoats and white trousers. The next headress would have been a low French type kepi, followed by the British version of the German pickelhaube. The army adopted that headress in 1878 and the police were likely to be same time or a little later.

Roger

by Paul Beard @, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 14:18 (5005 days ago) @ Roger Griffiths

Roger

Thanks very much indeed for your help with this.

Regards

Paul

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 14:36 (5005 days ago) @ Paul Beard

PC232 Eagles by my reckoning :-)

probably the old Blacksmiths shop in Woolaston rather than a familiar Police station / house.

You will find a copy of "A Forest Beat - The Forest of Dean Police 1839-2000" very helpful esp. for some photos.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by Paul Beard @, Sunday, August 22, 2010, 14:56 (5005 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi - have got a copy of page 141 of that book and your reckoning was absolutely right! Talking about Henry Eagles it does say that the building was believed to be a blacksmith's shop prior to becoming a police station (not many of them about these days - given the rate they are closing!).

Next time I am in the area I will take a few pictures but on previous visits have never been able to identify exactly which building it is. Thanks for your interest and help.

Regards

Paul

by unknown, Monday, August 23, 2010, 17:17 (5004 days ago) @ Paul Beard

Not sure is you are aware of it but Glos Constab has a excellent 'family history of the constabulary'. I have seen it several times at local famliy hist shows and is very comprehensive with registers and photo info about life in the Glos Police. One of he main men that i talked to was the cheif in charge of the Fred West Murder enquiry.
Suggest a call to POlice HQ will give you contact name and perhaps webiste.
Happy hunting

History of Gloucestershire Constabulary

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, August 23, 2010, 18:59 (5004 days ago) @ unknown

you might try Harry Thomas's

The history of the Gloucestershire Constabulary 1839-1985

Published 1987 by Gloucestershire Constabulary in Gloucester .

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL1639453M/history_of_the_Gloucestershire_Constabulary_183...

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by Paul Beard @, Saturday, September 11, 2010, 18:26 (4985 days ago) @ unknown

Thanks for your help

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, February 28, 2015, 05:05 (3354 days ago) @ unknown

I don't think their excellent website has been mentioned yet within these threads, I see Paul has kindly contributed photos to it.
eg
http://www.gloucestershirepolicemuseum.co.uk/page_2494725.html

UPDATE 2018: it appears the above website has been revamped, I imagine Paul's photos are still there but cannot find them now.
The new site may be found here
http://gloucestershirepolicearchives.org.uk/content/about/introducing-gloucestershire-p...

The records of Henry Eagles and several more past officers are listed here;
http://gloucestershirepolicearchives.org.uk/content/finding-your-police-ancestors/archi...

by caroleigh, Gloucestershire, Monday, August 23, 2010, 20:28 (5004 days ago) @ Paul Beard

You could also try Gloucester Family History Society. When I attended their open day one of the volunteers had done a lot of research for the constabulary. It might be worth while checking out what they have - loads of photo's etc.

--
Caroleigh

RSS Feed of thread