Criminal Record of George Reeks (General)

by hamptons @, Thursday, November 18, 2010, 16:35 (4925 days ago)

I have been researching a George Reeks b abt 1796 to a Simon Reeks and a Jane Ravenhill of Woolaston,Lydney,Glos.He has siblings Jacob b abt 1792-1876,Mary 1797, William 1796/78,John 1801,Isaac 1792 and Charles 1813,all were born in Woolaston.I have found a record on the Criminal Registry gor a George Reeks from Gloucestershire who was sentenced to death in the summer of 1828.Can anyone help as i am not sure whether I have the right George Reeks any info would be greatly appreciated.

Criminal Record of George Reeks

by m p griffiths @, Thursday, November 18, 2010, 17:45 (4925 days ago) @ hamptons

If you look at the Gloucestershire County Council Genealogical Database

www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/familyhistory

and search for George REEKS -

you will find

George REEKES, 1828 - Woolastone, labourer - Goal - with the appropriate references.

If you click on his name: it says : Date of Committal 22 April 1828 (age 27 years)

by barbarajane @, Saturday, November 20, 2010, 12:40 (4923 days ago) @ m p griffiths

An image of the record is available on Ancestry. It lists the offence as 'sheep stealing' but no information on when or where the sentence was carried out. Is this information available? Also, would he have been returned to his family for burial as I can't find an equivilant record in the Parish records?

Gloucester Goal

by m p griffiths @, Saturday, November 20, 2010, 12:51 (4923 days ago) @ barbarajane

There has been a theme on Goal records before on FOD forum

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=7459

I assume the full details of the trial etc. are at the Gloucestershire Records Office.

People hung in our local prison, were buried there in the grounds of the prison.

There is a new link re: Gloucestershire Archives Newsletter - which I gave yesterday on the FORUM - search for Prison records

-----

GLOUCESTER GOAL

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/gloucester.html

Looking at the contents : bottom of page - links to list of executions (gruesome reading...)

by Rae Clarke @, Thursday, May 26, 2011, 09:54 (4736 days ago) @ hamptons

George Reeks, labourer, convicted Summer Assizes 1828 & transported to NSW in 1829 per 'America'. He was granted a Conditional Pardon 30 Jul 1847.

George Reeks, one of 176 convicts transported on the America, 04 April 1829.
Details: Sentence details: Convicted at Gloucester Assizes for a term of life on 13 August 1828.
Vessel: America.
Date of Departure: 04 April 1829.
Place of Arrival: New South Wales.

UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849 -
Name: George Reeks
Estimated birth year: abt 1801
Date Received: 9 Sep 1828
Ship: Justitia
Place Moored: Woolwich
Date Convicted: 13 Aug 1828
Place Convicted: Gloucester

The NSW death index has - died 1869 at Balmain, George Reeks son of William & Mary Reeks. Although the parents names are not quite right, this can happen as the only person who knows the correct details has died. I think George Reeks is the son of George Reeks born c1750 (brother of Simon Reeks) and Mary (surname unknown) only because he is closer to the age given in the convict records than George born c1794 (son of Simon). If anyone can help me confirm this I'd appreciate it.

RSS Feed of thread