Parkend Recollections (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, March 21, 2011, 01:31 (4788 days ago)

As a child I used to visit my uncle Clifford Cooper he lived in a bungalow on the edge of the forest in Parkend, he had something to do with the timber industry, his forefathers were miners, his wife was Dorothy.

I remember a cinema and a level crossing and playing in the forest, collecting chestnuts that was about 1962, any photos or information would be appreciated.

Regards Mike

Old Photos of Parkend

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, March 21, 2011, 03:04 (4788 days ago) @ admin

Old Photos of Parkend
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/parkend/

These photos were taken prior to 1962 but maybe some of them will be of interest to you.

Old Photos of Parkend

by tonyjenkins @, Monday, March 21, 2011, 22:01 (4787 days ago) @ admin

Cooper family Parkend

I also have family from Parkend who remember Cliff Cooper, I believe his father was Arnold Cooper (Suprintendent at Parkend Baptist Church 1932)

If this is the same family they played cricket for the village until the outbreak of WW2. They declared themselves as pacifists with the result that they were austrisized (no longer being able to play for Parkend at cricket.

Hope the info helps.

Kind Regards

Tony Jenkins

Clifford J COOPER 1914 - Parkend Recollections

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, March 21, 2011, 22:53 (4787 days ago) @ admin

John Wm Cooper abt 1865 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean, Gloucestershire
Clara Cooper abt 1868 Sentcowance, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife West Dean, Gloucestershire
Arthur I Cooper abt 1888 Pontrydyrun, Monmouthshire, Wales Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Edith E Cooper abt 1890 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Gloucestershire

Year: 1892
Month: Aug
Day: 11
Parents_Surname: COOPER
Child_Forenames: Arnold
Fathers_Forenames: John
Mothers_Forenames: Clara
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Parkend
Officiating_Minister: Isaac Brentnall
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Born May 10/92
Notes:
Register_Reference: D2598/4/2
Page_Number: 40
Parish_Chapel: Lydney Primitive Methodist

John W Cooper abt 1865 Bream, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean, Monmouthshire
Clara Cooper abt 1871 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife West Dean, Monmouthshire
Arthur J Cooper abt 1888 Pontrhydyrun, Monmouthshire, Wales Son West Dean, Monmouthshire
Edith E Cooper abt 1890 Bream, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Monmouthshire
Arnold Cooper abt 1892 Parkend, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Monmouthshire
William A Cooper abt 1894 Parkend, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Monmouthshire
Doris L Cooper abt 1899 Parkend, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean, Monmouthshire

1911 Standfast Parkend Nr Lydney Glosshire
John William Cooper 46
Clara Cooper 44
Arnold Cooper 18
Wm Alfred Cooper 16
Dovis Louisa Cooper 12
Eva May Cooper 9
Joan Job Cooper 4
Clara Irene Cooper 1

Name: Arnold Cooper
Year of Registration: 1913
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Spouse: Howell Lily A Howell
District: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 57

Name: Clifford J Cooper
Year of Registration: 1914
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's Maiden Name: Howell
District: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 36

Name: Dorothy A Rummels
Name: Clifford J Cooper
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1939
Registration district: Forest of Dean
Registration county (inferred): Gloucestershire
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 904

COOPER Clifford John
RUMMELS Dorothy Annie
Forest of Dean Forest of Dean Register Office
1939 6 25

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Clifford J COOPER 1914 - Parkend Recollections

by dollyvictoria, Sunday, April 24, 2011, 22:17 (4753 days ago) @ slowhands

The minister, Isaac Brentnall, who baptised your ancestor was my great grandad. My Grandma's brother, John was also born in Lydney isn't this internet great!

Parkend Recollections

by karen72, Sunday, May 08, 2011, 23:54 (4739 days ago) @ admin

Hi my name is Karen, Clifford Cooper was my Grandad and Dorothy was my Grandmother. My mum is Jean Edwards was Cooper from Parkend. I have loads of photos and and info about them. E mail me if you want to know more

Parkend Recollections

by mick clarke @, Milton Keynes, Monday, August 12, 2013, 18:04 (3912 days ago) @ karen72

Hi Karen,
I only recently came across your message(reply) on this site,I had a lot of problems registering,any way my name is Mike clarke and my mother was Molly Rummels(Dorothy's sister),and Clifford and Dorothy were my aunt and uncle,Jean would be my cousin,and you would be my first cousin once removed,I met Jean a couple of years ago at cousin Kay's 60th Birthday at Berkeley Castle,I was with my Daughter,I was amazed how much she looked like Aunt Dorothy.
I spent many happy hours visiting Aunt Dorothy and playing in the forest,we lived in a terrace house in Sutton Coldfield,so running all around the bungalow was a treat,I would love to here from you and see some of you old photo's.
I have done a lot of work on my family tree,which you can view if you want?I would need your EMAIL address,
My EMAIL address is tom1915 AT sky.com

Beat regards,
Michael

RSS Feed of thread