Willstead Outfitters Shop Cinderford (General)

by willow, Monday, April 11, 2005, 08:29 (6958 days ago)

I have currently in my possession an original old photograph of my great grandfathers shop the reverse shows it is a postcard type photograph
The photograph is close to collaspse as it has in the past been folded

on the picture what is visisible of the shop title is as follows
T WILLSTEAD outfitter and also it says Agent for the Public Benefit Boot co

I believe the shop was on High St Cinderford around early 1900's
Stood in the doorway is a gentleman i beleive is either the owner or his son

Where would I start a search to find out the actual location of the shop?
what records would be available?

I would love to show it but dont see any options on here to display photos
Included in the package I got from my deceased aunties spouse were some old school photographs from Broadwell school from the 1930's

Old photographs of people and places in the Forest

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, April 11, 2005, 09:02 (6958 days ago) @ willow

ª I would love to show it but dont see any options on here to display
ª photos
ª Included in the package I got from my deceased aunties spouse were some
ª old school photographs from Broadwell school from the 1930's

Sandra

I would be delighted if you would send me any old photographs of people and places in the Forest of Dean. This subject of old photos was recently mentioned on the FOD mailing list and I am at present in the process of setting it up. In fact I have just put some old photos of the Watkins of Ruardean together and will have them on the website very soon together with a note of where to send other photos to.

Another Photo of Willsteads on High Street Cinderford

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 08:20 (6957 days ago) @ admin

Sandra Denise

The shop was indeed on High Street, Cinderford, here is a photo of High Street which clearly shows the shop. The photo is on the Commanet website under the Forest of Dean Project.
http://www.commanet.org/english/Tutorials/Default.htm

Here is the direct link to the photo. with it being a long URL, I'm not sure if it will get wrapped, so I will send the photo to you by email.
http://www.commanet.org/reflect.aspx?action=navigate&rec=5009999900024701&dir=P...

Looking again through the many old photos of the Forest on the Commanet website I think it will be better for me to suggest to people to submit their photos to this site rather than including them on the FOD Genealogy pages.

Dave Watkins

Willsteads on High Street Cinderford

by slowhands @, Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 12:59 (6957 days ago) @ admin

The view is looking down High Street towards Ruardean with the Town Hall on your left , and the building marked No2 Branch, Co-Operative Society.

On your right would have been the Lion Hotel and Mundy's Hairdressers before you came to Willstead's.

regards
S

by willow, Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 15:49 (6956 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks,
I'm going to Broadwell on friday and hope that on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning I can get to Cinderford and try and find where the shop would have been. I know it will all have changed but worth a try.

by willow, Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 15:30 (6949 days ago) @ slowhands

ª The view is looking down High Street towards Ruardean with the Town Hall on
ª your left , and the building marked No2 Branch, Co-Operative Society.
ª
ª On your right would have been the Lion Hotel and Mundy's Hairdressers
ª before you came to Willstead's.
ª
ª
ª regards
ª S

Hi I located the shop, most of the shops havent changed, the Willstead shop is now Lloyds bank, which was under scaffolding and sheeting. It looks like either they have replaced the frontage or the shop has been pulled down and the site rebuilt upon. I took a photo to keep as comparison

by willow, Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 08:34 (6943 days ago) @ willow

This shop is causing headaches.

I now have 2 photographs of the shop, one full frontal(A) and the the other dave sent above(B)

Picture A shows the shop with white paint work, picture B shows with black, I presumed that it had been repainted at sometime as decorator is listed as a sons trade.

So when I visited Cinderford last weekend I took a picture of the street as it is now to find the Willstead shop as in pic B and it shows it is now Lloyds bank, these I showed to my father this weekend,

Only to hear him say, it wasnt there in 1929 ish, it was further down the high st.!! Pic B shows it near the Lion Pub, dads recalls its further down nearer a pub called 7 Stars..

Can anyone tell me how I can locate any proof of address for either shop and confirm it had moved premises or not

in Kellys Directory in 1897 Thomas Willstead is listed as Shopkeeper
and in the 1914 copy he is listed as Thomas Willstead outfitter high st

also Thomas's abode at his death ( 1929) was 104 high st
and his wife abode at death (1931)was 1 Parrogate Road

Seven Stars on High Street Cinderford

by slowhand\\\'s @, Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 17:25 (6942 days ago) @ willow

The Seven Stars was at the lower end of High Street almost onto Valley Road in the direction of Steam Mills.

130 High Street, so The Willsteads were living nearby,

Parragate Street is at the top end of High Street near the Golden Lion - 27 High Street !

by willow, Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 03:42 (6942 days ago) @ slowhand\\\'s

Thank you,
So it would appear that when my dad was 4 and starting school his recollection of going to the shop for a school cap and the shop being down further down the High St than the old postcard photo.

It now means this was the later shop which looking at the will of Thomas was possibly sold when he died in 1929 and 104 high street as his abode at death must have been the address of the shop as my dad recalls rooms behind.
He now informs me that he recalls the shop being on the left as you look down the high st .. Is the 7 stars on the left?

http://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/willstead_ireland/pages/page_2.html

And this one must have been an earlier shop photo
http://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/cinderford/pages/page_3.html

My father did tell me the name of someone who either worked or owned the 7 stars, but it alludes me till I phone him again

Looks like I will have to make another journey to Gloucester again, to look around the area.

Thanks for your help Slowhands ....
I'm trying to get everything in some order to present my father a book about his life and family in time for his 80th birthday in August

by slowhand\\\'s @, Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 17:49 (6941 days ago) @ willow

Looking down High Street towards Ruardean / Steam Mills on the Left hand side.

At the bottom of the High Street near Valley Road. The old Seven Stars is a large detached stone and brick building with a distinctive rectangular plastered repair to its sandstone frontage near the front door.. the location, of course, of a removed West Country Ales plaque. A one way street to the side of the property is called Seven Stars Lane. A rateable value of £36 in 1891 and 1903. In days gone by it was probably a very pleasant pub in which to sup your pint of Alton Court Bitter from Ross on Wye.

1885 John Murray

1891 Edward Kirby. Alehouse. Bailey & Co. (owned by trustees of John Embling)

1902 Oliver Brain

1903 Oliver James Brain. Alehouse. Alton Court Brewery, Ross on Wye

1906 Robert Taylor

1919,1927 Kate Palfrey (Mrs)

1939 Ben Voyce

Thomas Willstead Cinderford

by slowhands @, Monday, April 11, 2005, 15:39 (6957 days ago) @ willow

The High Street, Commercial Street or Triangle would be a good bet for the shop.

I have postcards of several shops in the early 1900's - Wilces', several have been published in local history books.

Thomas Willstead was born about 1876.

In 1891 he is a miner living with his uncle George a Miner and Preacher in Woodside Road Cinderford.

In 1901 he is a Foreman, probably at a Colliery lodging in Belle Vue Rd. Cinderford.

In 1901 Kellys Directory has him as a Shop keeper in Cinderford

Ann E Russell 38 Littledean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Albert Russell 10 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Thr Willstead 24 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Boarder East Dean Gloucestershire
Herbert Baker 20 Birmingham Boarder East Dean Gloucestershire

Willstead, George 29 Ruardean Parisl, Gloucestershire Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Willstead, Ellen 28 Ruardean Parisl, Gloucestershire Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Willstead, Thomas 15 Cinderford, Gloucestershire Nephew East Dean Gloucestershire

1881 Willstead transcribed as Williskall - High Street Cinderford
Tom shown as born 1861 , but image shows age 4 ! All in all a very disappointing transcription

Emma Mobley abt 1851 Yarkhill Daughter Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Jas. Mobley abt 1826 Stretton Head Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Rosanna Mobley abt 1844 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
George Williskall abt 1863 Perla, Hereford, England Lodger Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
John Williskall abt 1859 Perla, Hereford, England Lodger Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Thomas Williskall abt 1877 Forest Dean, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Tom Williskall abt 1861 Perla, Hereford, England Lodger Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England

in 1871

William Wellstead 48 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Head Hope Mansell Herefordshire
Mary Wellstead 47 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Hope Mansell Herefordshire
Wellstead 18 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Hope Mansell Herefordshire
George Wellstead 10 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Hope Mansell Herefordshire
John Wellstead 14 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Hope Mansell Herefordshire
Thomas Wellstead 12 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Hope Mansell Herefordshire
William Wellstead 16 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Hope Mansell Herefordshire

Thomas Willstead Cinderford

by willow, Monday, April 11, 2005, 18:31 (6957 days ago) @ slowhands

Well I have Thomas Willstead owner of shop born 18 June abt 1860 Bartles Ruardean Died 23rd Jan 1929

children Albert Bertha Edith George William and Florence

his parents were William Wilstead and Mary Griffiths

Thomas appears to be one of 11 children
Thomas 1860 Roseanne 1844 Charles 1846 Mary 1850 Henrietta 1853 Elizabeth 1856 John 1858 William1858 James 1862 George 1863 Emma 1863

I have Williams father as Charles Wilstead not date of birth or details

Thomas Willstead (elder) Cinderford

by slowhands @, Monday, April 11, 2005, 19:13 (6957 days ago) @ willow

1901 - Transcription (!)

Albert Millstead 6 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Bertha Millstead 4 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Fanny Millstead 38 Yorkhill, Herefordshire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Florence Millstead 11 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
George Millstead 79 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
John Millstead 39 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
William I Millstead 15 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

1901 - Census Image - High St Cinderford

Albert Willstead 6 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Bertha Willstead 4 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Fanny Willstead 38 Yorkhill, Herefordshire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Florence Willstead 11 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
George Willstead 19 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire - Painter / Decorater
Tom Willstead 39 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire -Collier
William I Willstead 15 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire -Outfitter

1891 High St Cinderford

Welstead, Fanny 29 Herefordshire, Ianshill Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Welstead, Florence 1 East Dean, Gloucestershire Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Welstead, George 9 East Dean, Gloucestershire Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Welstead, Thomas 30 Drybrook, Gloucestershire Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Welstead, William James 5 East Dean, Gloucestershire Son East Dean Gloucestershire

Emma Mobley abt 1851 Yarkhill Daughter Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Jas. Mobley abt 1826 Stretton Head Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Rosanna Mobley abt 1844 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
George Williskall abt 1863 Perla, Hereford, England Lodger Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
John Williskall abt 1859 Perla, Hereford, England Lodger Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Thomas Williskall abt 1877 Forest Dean, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Tom Williskall abt 1861 Perla, Hereford, England Lodger Bradnacks Row, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England

in 1871

William Wellstead 48 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Head Hope Mansell Herefordshire
Mary Wellstead 47 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Hope Mansell Herefordshire
Wellstead 18 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Hope Mansell Herefordshire
George Wellstead 10 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Hope Mansell Herefordshire
John Wellstead 14 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Hope Mansell Herefordshire
Thomas Wellstead 12 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Hope Mansell Herefordshire
William Wellstead 16 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Hope Mansell Herefordshire

William WILLSTEAD 1823 Ruardean

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, June 29, 2006, 22:23 (6513 days ago) @ willow

1881 looks like Bilson/Steam Mills area of Holy Trinity
William Willstead abt 1824 Dean Forest Head Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Mary Willstead abt 1852 Dean Forest [Daughter] Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Willstead abt 1855 Dean Forest Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Charles Willstead abt 1872 Dean Forest Nephew Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Willstead abt 1880 Dean Forest Niece Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire

in 1871

1861 Perlue
William Welsted abt 1828 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Head Ruardean Gloucestershire
Mary Welsted abt 1829 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ruardean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Welstead abt 1855 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire
Henryetta Welstead abt 1852 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire
John Welstead abt 1858 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Gloucestershire
Thomas Welstead abt 1860 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Gloucestershire
William Welstead abt 1856 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Gloucestershire
Mary Welsted abt 1850 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire

1851 Morse Lane
William Willsted abt 1823 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Head Ruardean Gloucestershire
Mary Willsted abt 1823 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ruardean Gloucestershire
Charles Willsted abt 1846 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Gloucestershire
Mary Willsted abt 1850 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire
Roseanna Willsted abt 1844 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire

6th Jan 1823 Baptist Ruardean
son of Charles and Hannah Wilsted

Possible relative to be updated
1841 Pitt St Gloucester
William Welstead abt 1801 Gloucestershire, England St Catherine Gloucestershire Carpenter
Hester Welstead abt 1801 Gloucestershire, England St Catherine Gloucestershire
Hester Welstead abt 1821 Gloucestershire, England St Catherine Gloucestershire
Harriet Welstead abt 1827 Gloucestershire, England St Catherine Gloucestershire
Henry Welstead abt 1834 Gloucestershire, England St Catherine Gloucestershire
William Welstead abt 1826 Gloucestershire, England St Catherine Gloucestershire

Willstead Outfitters Shop Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, June 29, 2006, 22:15 (6513 days ago) @ willow

RSS Feed of thread